Chapter 4

(Tuesday)

(Phillip)

I was getting worried when after 2 minutes I didn't see Travis. It was unusual for him to miss one day but missing two was way worse. I was about to full on skip school and start walking to his house but I finally saw him walking up the hill.

I almost slumped over in relief when I saw him. He looked way too tired to be out of bed. His eyes were a little sunken in and he had dark circles under his eyes. His backpack wasn't strapped to his back instead he was dragging it behind him.

"You look like shit." I commented trying to get a laugh out of him. He gave a weak smile and waved me off.

"I was sick yesterday, I thought I was dying turns out I just had a stomachache."

I laughed a little giving him a soft tap on the back. I saw him flinch away from my touch but I knew better than to comment on it. He knew that I knew he wasn't sick yesterday.

He sighed as we kept walking, the air becoming almost awkward. "I can carry your bag, if you want." I commented forcing my voice to remain calm and worry free so he wouldn't mistake it for pity.

"I know what your doing Phillip." I shrugged raising my hand to pat him on the back again.

"Okay, okay fine! Hold my backpack then." He backed away from me slightly, glaring.

I smiled at him taking his backpack from him. Surprisingly, he smiled back.

"Thanks Phillip." His words surprised me but I wasn't gonna ruin the moment by opening my mouth. I just nodded as we continued in a airy comfortable silence.

Travis wasn't really the talking type and often only liked to listen in conversations. It was one of the things I'd learned about him, he wasn't a big chatter box.

He always had some insult in the back of his mind but he never really talked. Depending on the situation if it called for him to say something he would but he often liked to stay quiet.

It was one of the reasons we weren't great friends. I had trouble finding things to talk about and Travis didn't want, to talk to me. He liked to listen, he was just a listener. Maybe if he met someone he really liked, he'd talk more but I didn't think id ever get to see it.

I wanted to talk to him but I couldn't find any words to say. He looked absolutely miserable and didn't look like he wanted to even think. It would probably only make it worse to try and talk to him. He could possibly even lash out on me if I were to say something.

I took the safe route and decided to just stay quiet brushing against Travis once in a while to remind him he was still on earth.

Sometimes, he'll just get lost in his own little world. Its like, nothing else matters when hes gona like that. I always wonder what hes thinking about but every time I ask he blows me off. He always looks so distant and out of the world when he gets like that.

"Do you, nevermind its stupid." Travis cheeks almost glowed a little red as he shoved his hands in his pockets and started walking faster.

"Wait, what is it?" Travis never made conversation so I was almost dying to know what he wanted to ask.

He sighed rubbing his eyes with a hand, slowing his pace slightly.

"Do you, ever feel like. Like everyone around you doesn't know you? I don't- I dunno how to explain it just forget I said anything." He threw his hands up with a sigh and kept walking.

"Yeah, I uh. I get what your trying to say. Like the people around you really don't know what its like to be you? Like they don't really understand who you are, or what your life is like. If thats what you meant then yeah, I get it."