PROVE IT

THE CASE OF THE MISSING LIFEGUARD

________
c h a p t e r s e v e n

Shortly after arriving at El's house, Bianca starts to spiral.

They were originally gonna stay at Max's, but El reminded them that Hopper would probably freak out about it.

"Oh my God, what did I just do?" Bianca shakes her head. "Oh my God."

"Hey, don't worry about it. Mike will come crawling back to you, begging for forgiveness in no time."

"But..."

"No buts. How about we have a sleepover tonight? It'll totally get your mind off things."

"You're right. I'm overreacting. This is Mike we're talking about. He's probably losing his mind right now," she sits on the bed, reading the magazine over El's shoulder.

"Yeah, they're probably like wallowing in self pity, all like, "Oh, I hope they take us back." What I would give to see their faces," Max mocks with a laugh, brightening up Bianca's mood.

El makes a face, as if she just thought of an idea. It intrigues both the brunette and the redhead, who ask her to divulge her thoughts.

"Well, I can see them."

"How?"

"How I found Will."

"Ohh."

"Explain," Max looks between them in confusion.

"She can do this thing where she can spy on people in her mind. We're gonna need a blindfold. And it has to be really quiet," Bianca explains.

El grabs one from her dresser, sitting down as Bianca adjusts the radio.

"Is this really gonna work?" Max questions excitedly, earning two affirmative nods. "Holy shit, this is insane."

"Max."

"Yeah, quiet, sorry."

After a moment, El speaks up. "I see them."

"What are they doing?"

"Eating."

"Figures."

"They say we are species."

"What?"

"Emotion, not logic."

"What?" both girls gasp in shock.

Eventually, she yanks the blindfold off, turning to them in what appeared to be disgust.

"What?"

"Is everything ok?"

She simply breaks out into contagious laughter, and soon enough all of them were rolling across the floor, giggling.