IDENTIFY THE HOST

__________c h a p t e r  f o u r t e e n

__________
c h a p t e r f o u r t e e n

Meanwhile, the kids were arriving at the pool, finding a spot behind a red convertible to spy on their potential host.

"There," Bianca points, handing Max the binoculars.

"I don't know. He looks pretty normal to me," she shrugs.

He was sitting in the lifeguard bench, wearing a long sleeved shirt, which wouldn't be terribly odd for today, as the rain made it cooler than normal. However, this was Billy they were talking about.

"Normal? How many times have you seen him with a shirt on?"

"I mean, it is a little weird."

"More than a little," Mike and Bianca say at the same time, making them glare at each other, while Lucas looks on in amusement.

Turning away from Bianca, Mike continues to explain. "He was in a tub with ice. The mind flayer likes it cold."

"Yeah, and everything else-"

"But he's lounging at the pool, which is, like, the least Mind Flayer thing ever."

"All double spies have to keep their cover, remember?" Bianca shrugs.

"Bianca's right," Will finally speaks up. "The Mind Flayer likes to hide. He only used me when he needed me. It's like... like you're dormant. And then, when he needs you, you're activated."

"Okay, then we just... wait until he's activated," Max suggests, starting to feel a bit nervous.

"No," Mike and Bianca once again say at the same time, making Bianca groan.

"Stop doing that."

"What? Speaking?"

"Yes, Michael. I would like you to stop speaking," she sarcastically retorts.

"Oh-"

"Focus!" Lucas snaps.

Letting out a sigh and giving Mike a pointed look, Bianca starts to elaborate. "It's too dangerous. He could hurt or kill someone while we're waiting."

"Yeah, we need to find out if he's the host," Mike pushes off of the car, starting to walk towards the pool.

"Where are you going?"

"I have an idea. Boys only," he beckons Will and Lucas over, making the girls gasp.

"Are you kidding me?"

"Seriously?"

"Just trust me on this one!"

"I'm gonna bludgeon him," Bianca glares in his direction, sitting down on the curb.

_______

Eventually, the boys come back, relaying the plan.

"Oh, are we worthy of hearing your genius ideas now?" Bianca crosses her arms as Mike leads the boys back to the car.