TRUE LOVE/CRIME

___________c h a p t e r  f i f t y - f i v e

___________
c h a p t e r  f i f t y - f i v e

Dawn Henderson had made a vow with herself very early on in life. There are two groups of people she will never be interrogated by: the police and Samantha's parents.

Somehow, she ends up doing exactly that. Leaning against the back of the Wheeler's couch, she makes direct eye contact with an interrogative Leo Flores, all while trying to avoid the chief of police standing in front of her.

"And what exactly were you all doing at the lake?"

"Uh..." Dustin tilts his head, clutching the pillow.

"We were..." Max begins. "We were just going for a walk."

"I was their chaperone," Dawn raises a hand, making Ted sigh.

"How comforting," he remarks, earning a glare from both Claudia Henderson and the Flores'.

"A walk? At 9 PM?"

"To the lake!" Dustin begins, his voice slowly getting higher pitched with each word. "Gonna take a little swim. A little night swim."

Dawn gives him an incredulous look, fighting the urge to strangle her brother.

"Dusty! Someone was just murdered there. Dawn, come on!" she looks between her kids, disappointment in her eyes.

"I just got home! How was I supposed to know that happened at Lover's Lake of all places?" she defends.

"That's why we didn't swim," Lucas adds.

"And Nancy, was she with you at this night swim?"

"Or Samantha?" Gianna and Leo ask in unison.

"No," Max and Dawn say, while Dustin says, "Yes."

"Seriously?" Dawn mouths, Max rolling her eyes.

"We're not sure," Lucas nods.

"They were there, and then they left. It's all a little confusing."

"And that's when you guys came."

"And they dared me to say what I said," Max nervously chuckles.

"I tried to talk them out of it, as the mature adult in the situation," Dawn smiles politely. "But you know how hard-headed Dustin is."

As she says so, she knocks the back of his head, not once dropping the sweet smile.

"Yeah, so hard-headed," he grits his teeth, smacking her hand.

"You're lucky you didn't get shot," Ted remarks, making even the parents look at him in annoyance.

"Have you had any contact with Eddie?" Chief Powell asks.

"Who's Eddie?" Dawn tilts her head in fake confusion.