WHAT KEEPS YOU UP AT NIGHT?

___________c h a p t e r  t w e n t y - s e v e n

___________
c h a p t e r  t w e n t y - s e v e n

"Are you sure you don't want to see a doctor tonight?" Gianna frowns at Steve as she lets everyone into the house.

"I'm alright, Mrs. Flores. Promise," he nods.

"Okay, but we're going first thing in the morning," she narrows her eyes.

"Yes, ma'am," he smiles softly.

"Why don't you go shower, we'll talk to the girls," Leo points upstairs with sympathetic eyes.

"Here," Sam opens the hallway closet, handing him the necessities. "It's the first door on your right."

"Thanks," he takes it, quickly heading upstairs as the girls sit down at the breakfast bar.

An air of sadness casts itself over the family as they sit around the table, not sure how to begin.

"Um," Leo frowns. "What-What happened?"

The girls share a look, feeling sorry for having lied so much the past few years, but are quickly reminded of what happens when you become aware of the things going on around this town.

Take Bob for example. He was fine, he was safe before they let him on the secret.

Hopper was doomed from the beginning, and honestly? So were they.

"And we want the truth this time."

"What are you talking about? We always tell you the truth," Bianca argues with a nervous smile.

Gianna tilts her head at this, as if to say, "Yeah, right."

"Really, Ma. It was just a fire," Sam sighs, looking down at her torn jeans.

"A fire gave Steven two black eyes and a fat lip?"

"Everyone was trying to run out at the same time. We were getting trampled and Steve took a few elbows to the face. Mike too."

"What was everyone even doing there? The mall was closed."

"Steve had to take a last minute shift, so I decided to wait for him there, and figured we could just reschedule our date," Sam begins to explain.

"Some of our classmates were gonna stay after hours, have a little fun in the mall," Sam sighs before continuing. "Billy invited us."

"The same boy who beat up Steve last year?"

"Yeah, him," she looks around. "He wanted a truce or something. It was like a peace offering. Sorry for beating you to a pulp."

"So there was a party at the mall and you, Steve, Dawn, Nancy, Robin, and Jonathan decided to go," Leo narrows his eyes.

"It's Hawkins, Dad. Nothing to do here without breaking a few rules."

"You mean a few laws."

"We didn't know it was gonna happen, okay? We were gonna leave early anyway. Steve and I wanted to be alone, but then-"