CROSS-COUNTRY DREAMS

___________c h a p t e r  f i f t y - e i g h t

___________
c h a p t e r  f i f t y - e i g h t

"We need to stop," Sam glances over at Steve as he drives the RV closer to Main Street. "To get me a new Walkman."

"What about Bianca's? Did she take it with her?" Steve asks.

"I don't think so. Both of my parents are at work right now so if we move quickly we'll be fine."

"What about the big ass RV in the middle of Maple Street?"

"I'll be in and out," she assures as they turn into the neighborhood, parking next to her driveway.

Oddly enough, there was a car there, but not belonging to either of her parents.

"Michelle?" she furrows her eyebrows as she gets out, sure she was striking warning alarms in the teenager's mind.

"Sam? Since when do your parents have an RV?" she steps away from the front door.

"We rented it. Um, what's going on? I'm actually a little busy right now," she shrugs.

"I just came by to check on you, I figured after hearing about Chrissy and Patrick, you might be a little down... Why are you all dirty?" she questions.

"I fell," she deadpans, internally grimacing. "My little sister's friends needed my help getting one of their bikes out of the woods and bam, I fell face first in the creek behind my house."

"Oh," she scrunches her face up in confusion. "Well, are you free later? I was thinking maybe we could-"

"Not really. I have to help the kids-"

"Is that Eddie Munson in your car?" she narrows her eyes, looking straight past Sam's head to the window where she could just barely spot the top of his head.

"Ignore that. Mike is starting to look just like him."

"I thought Mike was in California."

"He came back early."

"Sam, you really want me to ignore the fugitive in your car?" she asks incredulously. "What's up with you?"

"It's not what it looks like, okay?" she whispers. "I can't explain right now, but I just need you to go home and pretend we never had this conversation."

"My dad's the chief-"

"Yeah, I know. And as my friend, I am asking you to give me one free day to catch the real killer and clear Eddie's name. Please? You owe me."

The girl seems to have an internal battle, before letting out a sigh and opening her car door. "One day."

"For your sake, I hope you're right," she gets in, driving away.

Sam then runs into her house, wanting to grab Bianca's Walkman and her second copy of She's So Unusual by Cyndi Lauper before anyone else sees her.