JUST GO

_________c h a p t e r  e i g h t e e n

_________
c h a p t e r e i g h t e e n

"But if they're building something, why here? I mean, Hawkins. Seriously, of all places? At the very best, we're a toilet stop on your way to Disneyland."

This forces the three in the know to stop in their tracks, huddling close together.

"You think the Russians know?" Dustin asks.

"About the..."

"They could," Sam shrugs.

"So it's connected?"

"Maybe."

"How?"

"I don't know, but it's..."

"Possible," they all sigh, individually theorizing what it could be.

"I'm sorry, is there something you'd like to share with the class?" Robin inquires as she and Erica turn around.

Steve and Dustin babble out incoherent words, clearly caught off guard, while Sam only rolls her eyes, walking forward to catch up with the girls.

"Just discussing the fact that Erica's parents are gonna kill us if the Russians don't," Sam lies effortlessly.

The boys go to agree, only interrupted by the sounds of the radio sputtering on.

"Walkie."

They all drop to the ground as Erica pulls out the walkie from her bookbag, listening closely.

"It's the code," Robin nods along.

"Wherever that broadcast is coming from--"

"It's close. And if there's one thing we know about that signal..."

"It can reach the surface."

"Let's go," Sam stands, dusting off her jeans as she leads the way.

_____

Finally, the kids + Nancy, Jonathan, and Dawn make it to Heather's house after what felt like hours of bickering and Mike's complaints.

They all pile out, running up to the door as Nancy rings the doorbell, earning no response. She tries it once more before turning to El, who focuses her energy on opening it.

It bursts open, allowing the group to come in. Bianca immediately feels unsettled by the home, knowing something was off.

"Jesus it's freezing," Max rubs her arms, Bianca nodding in agreement, now glad her shirt was a long sleeve.

"Do you guys smell that?" Nancy queries, just as they round the kitchen.

It was covered in opened cleaning products, spilled all over the place and mixing together.