UNLIKELY ALLIES

____________c h a p t e r  f i f t e e n

____________
c h a p t e r f i f t e e n

While the kids were performing their sauna test, the teens at Scoops Ahoy were getting Erica into position.

"Okay, are you ready? Last chance to back out," Sam questions as she clips on the girl's helmet.

"Yes, Samantha," she rolls her eyes.

"Alright," she nods, handing Erica the walkie before walking towards the roof with Steve, Robin, and Dustin.

Once they make it up there, Robin speaks into the walkie, the rest of them keeping their eyes on the doors.

"Erica, do you copy?"

"Mhm. I copy. You nerds in position or what?" she responds.

"Yeah, we're in position. It's all quiet here, so you've got the green light."

"Green light, Roger that. Commence Operation Child Endangerment."

"Can we maybe not call it that?" Robin sighs.

"Oh, we're definitely not calling it that, Sinclair," Sam leans into the mic, annoyance on her face.

"See you on the other side, nerds."

A few minutes pass, and she stops moving, speaking into the mic again. "Alright, nerds. I'm there."

They let out a collective sigh in relief that there really weren't any booby traps, because honestly, they couldn't really put it past the Russians.

"Do you see anything?"

"Yeah, I see those boring boxes you're so excited about."

"When you get a little older, you'll realize that people hide very exciting things in boring boxes," Sam inspects her manicure as she responds.

"Any guards?"

"Negative."

"Booby traps?"

"If I could see them, they'd be pretty shit traps, wouldn't they?" she sarcastically retorts, and Sam can't help but chuckle.

"Thank you for that."

"I'm in," she finally announces, before opening the doors. "Free ice cream for life."

They quickly run downstairs, entering the room with big grins. Samantha gives a high five to Erica as she walks in, looking around in suspicion.

Steve reaches for one of the boxes, looking in his pocket for the box cutter. Realizing he didn't have one, Sam hands him a pink pocket knife.

"Why do you carry a knife?"

"My Ti- Aunt Victoria doesn't believe in walking around unarmed," she shrugs. "Considering how many beatings you've taken, I advise you start carrying one too."