Battle Of Starcourt

Requested by: chibis777

Max's POV
I watched in horror as the mind flayer punctured through Billy's chest. I couldn't move I was frozen. I wanted it to stop, to reverse time. It retracted the tentacle from his chest, sending him tumbling to the floor. Sirens rang in my ears from outside the building. I slowly approached his lifeless body, praying he was still somehow alive.

"Billy Billy please can you hear me? Wake up please Billy!" Tears started falling from my eyes. "No please!" I screamed, falling to my knees. I started sobbing uncontrollably. I could feel it coming, I couldn't let it happen. I can't slip in front of everyone. I was able to control it until I felt a pair of arms pull me onto her lap.

"It's okay, it's gonna be okay!" El said holding my head and bringing me closer to her body. She started to softly stroke my hair in an attempt to calm me down. I couldn't hold it back anymore. I wrapped my arms around her and clung to her for dear life.

"Bwing him back! I don wan him to die!" I yelled pulling on the back of her shirt. El started to speak but she was cut off by a swat team screaming at them to get out of there.

"I'm scawed Ellie please make it stawp!" I said quickly covering my ears.

"It's okay uh come on let's get out of here." She tried to get up and make me walk but I physically couldn't.

"Here I'll just carry you it's okay." She picked me up bridal style and ran out of the building. I buried my head into her side and kept my hands over my ears.

-

We made it outside and to an ambulance to treat our wounds. El reached it and sat me down in the back and hopped up next to me. I just continued to cry and scooted over to cling onto her.

"Hey it's okay Max I'm here." El said running her fingers through my hair. The EMT approached me and started to examine the wound on my leg.

"No no! Mommy make him stop!" I had completely let go of controlling little me now. There was no stopping it. El turned her head in shock of what she just heard. Luckily she went along with it.

"Just be super gentle with her please. Is it okay if this man bandages you up real fast? I'm right here I won't let him hurt you I promise." She lifted up my chin making me meet her eyes, making sure I heard what she said. I nodded and buried my head back into her side. The man carefully bandaged up my wound. I didn't even realize he had finished. My main focus was to get back home and cuddle with mama.

"Thank you sir have a nice night." El said waving goodbye to the man. She then focused her attention back down to me.

"Hey what's going on in your head right now Max? Why'd you call me mommy? Is everything alright?" She asked as politely as possible.

"Smol." Was all I could squeak out.

El's POV

It immediately clicked. I had no idea that Max was a little. I should have been able to pick it up by the sudden change of her voice or her actions. I don't know how I didn't. Steve talked to me about it a while ago. He said he knew that one of his friends did it and he took care of them. Back then I didn't really think much of it, but now, all I wanted to do was help this poor girl beside me. I bet the traumatic loss of her brother just made her lose control of it.

"Hey hey it's okay. Are you little Max?" I said looking over at her. She just gave me a small nod and stuffed her thumb in her mouth.

"Okay let's get out of here then. Let's get you back to my house. Sound good?" I tried my best to sound as gentle as possible. It seemed to be working because her sobs were starting to subside.