Found

Cg Max/Little El
Max's POV

I looked down at my watch and it was already 8:50pm. Shit. I needed to be home by 9 or Neil will literally kill me. It was dumb of me to walk here instead of biking, or I could've made it home on time. I waved goodbye to my friend and exited out her back door. I glared out at the woods behind her house and decided it was best to take a shortcut. It's scary as hell in there, but it's better than getting my ass kicked. I hiked into the dark woods, dodging fallen trees, and trying my best not to step on any sticks. I didn't want to alert anything I shouldn't. I was almost near the end when a crunch of a twig caught me off guard. I looked down to see if I stepped on one, but it wasn't me. I wanted to bolt home, scared out of my mind, but I was also curious to what it was.

I turned in the direction of the sound and in the distance I could see the shadow of a person. I crouched down behind a nearby fallen tree to observe them. I couldn't quite see their face, since they were so far away. They approached closer and I could make out the image of a girl holding some sort of stuffed animal. She looked to be lost and afraid.

"Hey! You lost?" I yelled out to her. She got startled and ran to hide behind a tree. I felt terrible, she probably thought I was going to kidnap her or something.

"Hey I promise I mean no harm! Is everything alright?" I slowly approached closer to the tree, not wanting to walk too fast and creep her out. I watched her head peak out from behind the tree and observe me.

"N-no hurt?" She squeaked out. I was taken aback by her childish and fragile voice. She looked to be about my age if I were to guess.

"Not going to hurt you I promise. Can I come closer?" I asked, stuffing my hands in my pockets. She nodded her head and I got a few feet closer to her. I could finally see her details at this distance. She was covered in cuts and bruises, her clothes were torn, and her hair was matted. But she was beautiful, stunning actually.

"Hey what happened are you okay?" I reached out to grab her hand but she quickly moved away from me.

"Hide." She mumbled.

"Do you need to go somewhere to hide from someone? Was someone hurting you?" I asked, trying to keep a calm tone. She nodded her head.

"Umm well I can take you back to my friend's cabin in the woods? Nobody is there, they only use it a few times in the winter. Are you comfortable with that?" She shakily reached her hand out to mine, softly grabbing onto it. I took that as a yes. I guided the both of us out of the woods and back onto the street. It was dimly lit from the few broken streetlights, but it was better than being in the woods. I noticed she was frantically looking around, almost like someone was out for her. I felt terrible. I pulled her a bit closer to me, to reassure her that she's safe. I could feel her relax a bit after that.

"We're almost there I promise. How about I cook you a meal and run you a shower would that be nice?" For the first time since I ran into her, I saw a faint smile appear. I smiled back and starting hiking up the dirt driveway with her. We eventually reached the cabin. I flipped over the doormat on the porch and recovered the key from under it. I unlocked the door and held it open for the girl to go inside.

"Hey I promise you're safe here. Do you want to sit down and talk about who you are and what's happening?" I said as I flicked on the lights. She didn't respond, just stared up at me instead. I walked over to the couch and sat down, patting the spot next to me. She hesitantly walked over and sat down, curling up into her teddy bear.

"I-I El. An I escape fwom scawy men. Huwt me." She choked out, tears pooling at her eyelids.

"I'm so sorry. You're safe with me I promise. I won't let them get to you. Oh and um how old are you?" I was curious to know.