Drabble 9: Gone

WARNING: CONTAINS SAD TRIGGERS.

You were undeniabley exhausted. Your body ached, you eyes felt heavy and puffy and your brain like cotton wool. You hadn't slept in days. You couldn't.

Everything was just so wrong. It wasn't meant to be this way.

You lay back on your soft pillows, attempting to get comfortable but no amount of pillows were going to help you sleep. How could someone so depressed sleep?

The snow fell steadily outside of your window, he had always loved the snow. You remembered bitterly the times you both had built snowmen and had snowball fights. That was never going to happen ever again because he was gone.

He was dead. Dead. Dead. Dead.

Dead.

You didn't even have a body to bury. You had been on a mission with the Avengers, so naturally he was there too. It was only supposed to be an extraction plan, get those trapped in the crumbling skyscraper and get the hell out of there.

Each of you had taken a level each, since the building was so vast. Quicksilver and Ironman could have easily completed the mission alone of the building hadn't had so many bloody levels.

You recalled how he had looked at you and smiled, both of you waiting to parachute into the building. You had yelled over the loud rumble of the helicarrier that you 'loved him'.

He hadn't heard you but knew what you were saying. 'I love you too!' he'd replied.

That was when you'd been given the greenlight to 'chute in.

You had literally forced him to wear a parachute, he was usually so adverse to parachutes.

That was the last time you two would ever stand side by side. Your wedding had been the beginning, that helicarrier would be the last.

It was clear that the building was unstable but it shouldn't have been so unstable that as soon as you both touched base, it rumbled, indicating that it could collapse at any moment.

All the trapped victims were saved but at such a high cost. There was this one damn woman who was trapped on the middle floor, his floor. Her leg caught under a fallen cabinet. Naturally, he had solely concentrated on freeing her. You were already back safely inside the helicarrier, yelling down your earpiece for him to move his dorito-shaped butt and get the hell out of there.

You hadn't been able to get a visual of him but you heard everything.

Everything.

You had heard the sudden manic laugh, it was the woman. She started yelling something about Hail HYDRA. The next thing you knew, you heard him screaming your name. You were screaming his. The building collapsed seconds later, burying you husband you your heart.

Now, you were lying in bed, watching the snow, he had always loved the snow.

You heard you bedroom door creak open and the hallway light flooded into the room. It was carefully shut and in a blink of an eye, your best friend was sitting by your side. His added weight caused the bed to dip slightly. "Hey." he whispered.

Just having him near made you cry. Pietro carefully gathered you into his arms as you wept into his chest. He noted that you were still wearing on of Steve's shirts. It was baby blue, your favourite one of his. You wore it because it was closest thing to a hug from Steve you were ever going to get.

"He's gone, Pietro." you murmured between sobs.

He kissed the top of your head, rocking you comfortingly back and fourth. "I know, little love, I know."

You were so tired, you didn't want to speak anymore, nor could you sleep. So, you allowed yourself to be comforted by Pietro, as he spoke about how brave your husband was and how he would be greatly missed.

It wasn't any consolation but you were okay with Pietro at least attempting to make you feel better. Only three men in your life could bring you some kind of comfort:

One was your Father, God bless his soul.

Two was Steve, may his soul be in peace.

And thirdly, was Pietro.

"Pietro?" you interrupted him.

He paused. "Yes, little love?"

"Please promise me, and Wanda, that you'll never leave. I don't think either of us would be able to function without you."

"I promise," the make held you tighter. "I'm not going anywhere. I'm too quick for death to catch me."

You had laughed and wept bitterly at the same time.

A/N: Thank you so much for the views, votes and comments!