6 - Rewards

Matt blinked a few times at the new popup in front of him. It felt like it was mockingly starting back at him.

__________

[New Quest]

Pay the Rent [$43/800] [Reward: +Mystery Reward, +30xp]

{7D 9H 23M left}

__________

He quickly studied the quest until something caught his attention.

'Mystery Reward? What does that even mean? Just tell me what it's gonna be.' he exhaled slightly annoyed.

He was just being grumpy though. The prospect of a reward made him excited, even if it was a mystery. So far it seemed like the system only gave him XP and sometimes a stat point. This was the first time he had seen a different type of reward.

Maybe it was dependent on the type of quest? It seemed like the XP amount kept changing too.

One last thing he noticed was that there was a timer on the quest. It seemed like he had to finish it in a week to get the reward. There was no way he was going to give up on such an interesting reward, he had to get the money now.

He closed out of the quest and stared around his apartment. There were still clothes laying all over the ground but other than that, it looked cleaner than it ever had. Even just with the trash cleaned up, it was looking significantly better.

'Well, I guess I better get started on the clothes. I don't know what I'm going to do about getting the rent money but I guess I'll just have to worry about that tomorrow.'

With that, Matt went around picking up any thrown-away clothes he could find as the counter on the quest slowly ticked up.

Pick up Laundry [5/14]

After a few more rounds around his apartment, he managed to gather all of the clothes and dump them into the laundry basket in his bedroom. Another ding sounded as the quest finished.

__________

[Quest Complete]

Pick up Laundry [23/23]

+6xp [XP 60/100]

__________

'The last cleaning quest is done. I hate cleaning but that wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be.'

Matt looked at his general quests again to see what was left.

__________

||General||

Take a Shower [Reward: +4xp]

Do Pushups [0/100] [Reward: +2 Strength, +20xp]

(NEW) Pay the Rent [$43/800] [Reward: +Mystery Reward, +30xp]

__________

Matt glanced at the shower quest before looking down at himself. His clothes were nasty due to his recent run and also just the fact that he hadn't showered in three days. He would often put off showering since he couldn't be bothered to wash laundry and prepare everything.

'I really don't want to live like this anymore'

Everyone pushed him away because he just wasn't pleasant to be around.

'If I put in a little effort, I can be better. The system's just a bonus, or maybe a sign that it's time to change?'

With a renewed fire in his eyes, Matt decided which quest to do next.

'Pushups it is.'

He made his way to the bedroom and laid down face-first on the floor with his hands out. He lined up his legs and pushed away from the floor once, completing a pushup.