19 - New Skill

Matt was in his apartment nerding out about the potential that the system could have. [Help] just looked annoyed.

"Of course it's magic! Technology can't just let you open a map that'll show you every important location around you!"

"Uh, it can. It's called a phone app."

[Help] just looked more annoyed.

"Shut up! That's not the point anyway! Whatever, who cares! Send me back already! I don't want to talk to you!"

"Hold on, you still didn't answer my question yet. How do I use this?"

"Just say 'Use!', what else did you expect?! Send me back!"

Matt felt a bit dumb, but in his defense, it could've been like 'activate!' or 'spend!' or something. He deactivated the [Help] skill and sent her back to wherever she goes. He looked down at the crystal in his hand and held it up before shouting.

"Use!"

[Skill Shard used.]

[Skill Wheel Unlocked]

The crystal quickly started to glow brighter until it was like the sun was in Matt's apartment. Then the world around him started to change. Stars were forming in his apartment, and the walls, floor, and ceiling were starting to look like the night sky.

The stars started to gather together and what seemed to be a galaxy began to form in front of him. But it was taking on a strange shape. It was like a wheel-shaped galaxy. There were many notches and words forming on the wheel.

'Woah, this looks kinda crazy.'

The galaxy wheel finally finished forming, and it seemed to have millions of words on it, one in each section of the wheel. The words were blurred though, and so he couldn't figure out what they said.

'Wait, how can I even make out the individual sections? It's like I can see every part of it at once even though it's so big.'

He noticed an arrow that was pointing down, hovering over one of the blurred words. The final thing he noticed was a big sparkling button at the bottom of the wheel that read: "Spin!"

'What is this, a pay-to-win game?!'

Although it was weird, he was still excited to get his skill. It must come from this wheel somehow.

'Well, guess I'll spin it.'

With that thought, he pressed the large button and the wheel instantly started spinning incredibly quickly. The arrow made a loud chime every time it passed a word, which made it kind of annoying.

The wheel started to slow down, and Matt started leaning forward in anticipation. He was finally going to get a skill, and he was super hyped to find out what it was.

Now that the wheel was spinning more slowly, the words near the arrow unblurred, probably to build suspense. He still could only see the words a couple of sections before and after the selection arrow. He quickly made note of some of the names that flew by.

'Lunar Regeneration, Replenishment, Concrete Transmutation, Suspension, wow these all sound pretty good!'

The wheel finally began to finish spinning. It slowed, and came to a complete stop. Matt nervously and with anticipation, looked at what it landed on. At the same time, the system sent a notification.

[Skill Learned: Mind Palace]

Matt stared at the result, instantly interested but also a bit confused.

'Mind Palace? Isn't that a technique people use to remember stuff? Is there more to it since it's a system skill?'

He thought about what this could mean but decided it would be best to just test it out. As he thought this, the wheel slowly faded away, and the stars around the room were gone.