Chapter 8 e

Ana and Allie

Both girls walked with the boys and one or two other girls to other small tents that had been set up for the singers.  When the Stone Master had activated the stones they started glowing blue and both girls looked rather startled by that.  A few moments later and Jim's voice and another angelic voice came out.  The singers and musicians started playing the songs.  The stones were basically used to coordinate the singing at the various tents set up.  This was so everyone was singing on queue and together.

Ana leaned against Allie and was pleased when her sister gave her a hug.  The first song was so sad in the beginning but by the time it finished there was a great deal of hope in it.  She didn't really have any idea of who died even though it seemed to be connected with her mother.  She cried due to the song and that her mother was rather upset.

Allie wrapped her arm around Ana and cuddled her close.  "It will be okay Ana and mom will explain it when she is ready.  Relax and enjoy the music."  There were one or two tears trickling down her face as well.  Much like Ana it was the songs more than anything that was making her cry.  At one point everyone could see a flare from what she assumed was the funeral pyre.  It didn't last very long but everyone became silent when it faded.

Through the stone they heard Moran speak and sighed.  What all was going to happen they weren't sure but they were sure the boys would show them.  Once the singing was over and the fire seemed to go out the boys came over and stood with them briefly.

Saulo and Farion walked over to the two and each offered them an arm.  "Dinner is going to be a sort of ongoing buffet affair.  People can come and go as they please.  It is because the entire tribe is going to be dancing.  It allows us to come and get a snack or drink before going back to dancing or talking."  Saulo was pleased when Allie took his offered arm.

Farion was a bit more hesitant but offered Ana his arm as well and both blushed as she tucked her hand in his elbow.  "We will escort you to get something to eat and then to the young adult and teens tent.  There are different tents that were put up when we got here so that we could have gatherings.  For some reason the adults just don't understand the fun of getting soaking wet."

Ana snickered at Farion when he said that.  "I have a feeling that Uncle Jimmy might object as well."  She glanced at him out of the corner of her eyes and finally had to ask.  "What species are you and about how many turns old?"

Farion smiled at her and her questions.  "I am an inu like mama Nasha but of a different type."  He had mostly white fur but with black spots scattered around.  "I am just over 66 turns old.  I have 14 turns till I reach my majority."  He was almost painfully shy since he was in a gangly awkward stage and wanted to make a good impression on her.

Ana did some quick math in her head.  "Okay, your majority is eighty turns and for us that is eighteen years.  Based on that it is about 4.44 turns per year so that would make me about 62 turns."  She sighed slightly.  "Darn it I don't feel like waiting almost twenty years before I am an adult."

Farion looked very impressed with her doing that in her head.  "You are a really smart girl if you can do that in your head."  He meant it as a compliment and it didn't even occur to him that she might take offense.

"Excuse me?  Are you trying to say most girls are dumb?"  She started to lean back from him till he looked shocked at her reaction.

"No I wasn't trying to say that at all.  You are a girl and are smart.  It was a compliment and nothing else."  His ears were pulled back and he looked distressed at upsetting her.

Allie snorted.  "Relax Ana, different culture and different meaning for the same words.  We are going to encounter all kinds of misunderstandings till we get used to being here."  She turned and looked at Saulo.  "You have to admit that they have some very nice tails.  I keep resisting the urge to ask to pet some of them."  Just for good measure she gave Farion's arm a squeeze.