Chapter 2

I sighed as I tucked a coin in the vending machine, patiently waiting for my hot chocolate to be ready.

Couldn't the agent tell me directly what was going on, or just like... Send me home?

Seriously, calling me at the Ministry of Defense at 5 AM, while I'm still in the middle of preparations for the final test...

"Lucia, is that you?"

I jumped in surprise and quickly turned towards the voice, that I somehow knew.

Not a lot of people called me by my old name.

"H-Hunnigan...! I wasn't expecting to see you here!" I exclaimed as she smiled.

I took my cup of hot chocolate and carefully walked towards Hunnigan, trying to not spill a single drop of my drink.

"Sorry, I didn't recognize you at first. The color of your hair..." She started to blurt out, a bit ashamed as I looked at my brown hair.

I smiled.

"I kinda had enough of being called Barbie at the formation center, so..." I began to say as she nodded.

"How is it going...?" She asked as she put a coin in the machine, almost smashing the buttons to get herself a coffee.

I sighed.

"I've been doing... Well, I guess...? The final tests are coming up next month, so... I'm a bit nervous."

She gave me a sympathetic gaze.

"You're almost there, then. You'll make a great agent once you've succeeded, so I wish you good luck."

I looked away for a second, a bit ashamed.

If only I had managed to get out of the last ranks.

"Thank you." I replied as she grabbed her coffee cup.

I hesitated to ask her anything else as I quickly understood how exhausted she was.

She seemed to need some rest too.

"Well, I should get going. I'm still not finished with my work."

She sighed slowly, waving at me as she left.

"They better count me those three days in a row in overtime." I could her complain as I spat part of my drink.

Three days in a row?!

How does she manage to stay awake??

I sat on the bench, letting my head fall in my hands.

----------------------

"Agent Lucy Castle?" I could hear someone call from the other end of the hallway.

I quickly stood up, cursing myself for almost falling asleep, and rushed towards the woman who had just called me.

"Follow me."

I quickly regretted putting on heels, while she made me walk countless meters.

"Here's your contract." She ended up saying while I was barely recovering from my sports walk.

But even fatigue had not managed to slow down my facial features, which were in sheer stupor.

"Excuse me? My contract? For?" I asked as she blew.

"Listen, I was just asked to give it to you, and make you sign it. This is a direct request from the president, so I hope you won't be making any fuss over it."