Chapter 20 - END

"Okay Lucy, do you copy?" Wolfe asked me as I adjusted my earpiece, gazing carefully through the tinted glass.

So many people...

"Affirmative. So, what do I have to do?" I asked as I stepped out of the car, gripping the corner of my blue dress with my hand to avoid tripping.

"You need to infiltrate the ambassador's offices and look for documents or evidence of his involvement in the attack that took place in New York. The documents may only be accessed digitally."

I felt my breath stop for a moment as I heard all those terms in the same sentence, quickly realizing the weight of what had just been entrusted to me.

It was my first mission, and I was already being asked to dig for potential conspiracies within the government, which was far from encouraging.

I guessed it was either because I was a foreigner and it could easily be found in the government's database, or this mission was a trap set expressly for me, to determine if I would remain trustworthy despite it all.

As I entered the lobby, I let out a sigh.

Seriously, this is utterly intense for a first mission...

As I did my best to blend in perfectly with the reception, engaging in small talk with other women, I finally caught sight of the ambassador in the distance, conversing with a group of men of different nationalities.

"The ambassador's offices are on the second floor at the end of the right corridor. You'll need to take the elevator to access them." I heard Wolfe explain through the earpiece as I grabbed a flute of champagne, bringing it thoughtfully to my lips as I directed my interest towards the elevator, which was unsurprisingly guarded by a gigantic, heavily built man.

And the stairs?

I turned my attention back to the group I was conversing with, cautiously keeping an eye on the senator as I counted the number of bodyguards present on the balcony, presuming it to be around twenty.

It is too well-guarded for a simple reception.

After a good five minutes of pure courtesy, I gracefully bid farewell to the ladies keeping me company, pretending to need to use the restroom.

As I entered and found no one inside, I silently turned on my communicator.

"Wolfe, the elevator's not accessible, any stairs in here?" I asked, barely moving my lips as I placed my clutch on the sink.

"Yes... But access is blocked by an electronic lock, you would need a key."

As I pretended to check my makeup, I noticed a camera in the corner of the room.

"I suppose that lock can't be hacked... Is that right?" I silently asked as I seized a tissue from my clutch, removing my lipstick.

As I saw a group of women arrive and settle next to me, inspecting themselves in the mirror while chatting, I almost grimaced as I struggled to maintain patience.

"It can. But you would need to take care of the cameras first." he replied as I let out a silent sigh, trying to recalibrate my train of thought.

As the women left, I quickly grabbed my pair of tweezers, separating the small metallic microchip that was connected to it.

With this, I should be able to short-circuit the door...

That's when I heard a flood of footsteps heading towards the bathrooms, which made me change my mind at the last moment as I placed the chip on the sink, covering it with my hand to conceal it.