Chapter 14

Lucia's POV

I nervously sighed as I watched Leon leave the room, my lips trembling a bit as I felt relieved at Leon's remark.

I feel like whatever I'll do they'll quickly figure me out!

As he closed the door behind I let my head fall a bit, slowly biting my lip as Matthew turned back to me.

"So, for how long have you been sticking around?" he ended up asking as the others gave me a curious glance.

I slumped back into my chair, feeling a bit pensive.

"I think it's been two months since I started working here...?" I began to say as they all exchanged gazes, their eyes widening in shock. I pouted slightly as I nervously crossed my fingers.

"What? Is there a problem?" I asked as silence followed, confirming my thoughts.

What if they're making that face because it's not normal?

"No! Everything is fine! It's just surprising to see someone who's only been here for two months... while it took us all several years to get here," Elisa responded calmly as my mouth fell open in surprise.

"Oh." was the only sound that escaped my lips as there was an awkward moment.

"Let's just say I already had some experience, haha..." I tried to joke as they all got up from their chairs. I watched them through the confusion and almost got up myself, confused, when Matthew lightly tapped me on the shoulder.

"Well, if you've made it this far in two months, you must have gone through some pretty crazy things. Respect." were the only words he said as my face whitened, his words sounding a bit too real for me.

Some pretty crazy things... that's an understatement...

As fragments of that cursed past I hoped to one day fully recover resurfaced in my mind, I shook my head quickly, refusing to break down in tears in front of people I barely knew.

I have to be strong, like Leon.

As I sadly smiled at them, I sat back down, finishing unloading my box, when I heard my phone vibrate next to me. Curious, I opened it from afar to see the message addressed to me, and I panicked.

"Meet me in the hallway behind the inquiries in five minutes, » was clearly written on my screen, with Leon as the sender.

He wants to see me here??

I quickly glanced at the others and noticed that almost all of them had gone back to their tasks except for Elisa, who was sitting in her chair sipping her coffee thoughtfully.

I grabbed my jacket, and phone, and hurriedly left without making a sound, not wanting to draw attention to myself any more than I already was as my heart was already in full panic mode.

As I walked through the hallways and searched for this infamous "hallway behind the inquiries," I found none.

That's when I felt someone put their hand on my shoulder, and out of reflex, I grabbed it and then got a hold of the person's arm, which I swung over and rolled onto my side.

As the person I had just thrown on the ground got up in less than two seconds thanks to a good reception, I quickly covered my mouth with my hands when I realized it was indeed Leon.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry! I didn't know it was you!!" I almost screamed as he covered my mouth with his hands, shaking his head calmly while gesturing for me to follow him.

As I quickly walked a few meters away from him to avoid detection, I couldn't help but smile at the thought of being able to talk to Leon a little.

It's been two months since I last saw him...