Chapter 17

"Why did you leave earlier?" Leon eventually asked as I quickly made a face.

I knew he was going to ask that...!

Having no choice but to answer him, I sighed.

"I was frustrated. And sad." I replied to him as he nodded his head at my answer, seeming to want to ask the question again as I decided to leave it at that.

"Truth or dare, Leon?" I asked him directly after.

He sat up in his seat, scratching his chin as he seemed to think about which option he would choose.

"Truth?" he eventually said as I nodded, already having the question ready in my mind.

"Who was the man in the photo I saw earlier?" I calmly asked as he lost himself in thought for a moment, the expression on his face seeming to darken.

"James. He's the one who raised me." he eventually replied as my face slightly tensed at his answer, slightly understanding the connotation of his answer.

Does that mean that he has grown up without parents...?

As I settled onto the couch, I looked at him for a long time, pensive.

"Truth or dare?" he eventually asked me as I curled up in the corner of the sectional couch. I looked at a fixed point in front of me, determined not to answer the truth.

"Dare," I replied as he calmly nodded his head, a beginning of a smile starting to appear on his lips as I gulped.

"Do a backflip..." he replied as I clicked my tongue, finding his strategy unfair.

"Are you going to keep asking for backflips so that I'll answer you, huh?" I finally asked him, slightly frustrated as he chuckled slightly.

"Not my idea..." he insinuated as I threw a cushion at him, which he caught effortlessly in mid-air.

As I started to get up, having decided to stop playing, I heard Leon say one last thing before I left.

"I thought you were going to ask me a lot of questions. I'm quite disappointed." he announced, a hint of amusement perceptible as I bit my lip, tapping my foot in frustration.

Is he asking me to sacrifice myself to finally get what I want? Is that it??

"No, I don't feel like it anymore... If you don't want to tell me anything, I won't force you to," I replied as I began to leave.

"So, I can't ask you my question?" he asked as I pouted.

"I already know what it's going to be, and I don't want to..." I admitted to him as he smiled slightly.

" That's how it works. And I would have eventually asked you, game or not." he insinuated as I sat back down next to him on the couch, feeling slightly more cooperative as I grabbed a piece of his blanket to wrap myself in.

"When you said you were frustrated and sad, in my previous question..." He began to ask as I sighed, slightly ashamed at the idea of having to answer him honestly.

"Well..." I started as I untied my hair, starting to play with my elastic as I thought about the rest of my answer.

"Actually, I don't really have an explanation. This morning I was so happy to see you that at the moment we saw each other, I felt like we were missing an important detail. And it's like that every time I talk to you..." I started to tell him as he furrowed his eyebrows slightly.

"So, the reason why you went drinking with Will was because you were frustrated that I told you we had to act like we didn't know each other at work?" He asked in return as I nervously nodded my head.