54

Aurora Styles

It's 6am on New Year's eve, aka 31st December aka... my baby's 3rd birthday.

How do I have a 3 year old?

I feel nauseous.

Me and Harry are getting everything downstairs set up and ready, the helium balloons all around the living room, having one theme: Disney.

She has no idea where or what we're doing today, but I'm hoping the decorations make her a little suspicious, her presents and birthday card solidifying her growing thoughts before she asks if we're going to "The happiest place on Earth."

I place the last present on the table, organising the pile to make them easier for her to grab. Harry comes up behind me and wraps his arms around my waist, wrapping his hands around each other to sit on my waist.

He whispers into my ear, his newfound excitement clear and obvious, "Shall we go see her new room and then go wake her up? That's if she's not already secretly awake and trying to trick us."

I laugh and find the excitement with him, something that's been increasingly difficult for the both of us. "Yeah, let's go see her princess room and then wake the little princess up. Shall we show her the new room before or after Disney?" 

We walk back up stairs, Harry letting me go first as he follows behind, not answering my question until we're back in her new room with her newly painted walls and furniture. She's even been upgraded from the toddler bed she currently has, to a standard single bed she'll have for the next 10 years, until the next upgrade comes.

It feels weird that the next bed we have to buy for her will be a double bed... my baby is really growing up, and faster than I ever imagined.

When the door closes behind us, Harry goes back to my question and answers whilst dazed looking around the bedroom, "I think after breakfast and presents but before we leave for the day... that way she can get ready in here and pull an outfit from her new closet."

I nod and agree, meticulously screening my paintwork to see if I can see anything that's not up to standard, whereas Harry's in awe of each scene I managed to fit into a decently thin strip of the wall.

Every 2 or so feet, there is a new strip of wall, and a new scene painted. I chose all the key scenes, having put a canopy over her bed, the back of it nailed to the wall where she can pull the material apart and reveal the painting Rapunzel did of herself in the movie, where she is sitting in a tree and watching the lanterns on her birthday.

A smile starts to creep over my face, because the room looks incredible. I can't wait for her reaction, it's why we do things like this.

Harry walks up to look at each section in more detail, gasping and touching the paint ever so lightly, "You are... the most talented person I know."

I smile as I walk up behind him, wanting to feel his body on mine again. I place my chin on his shoulder, murmuring, "My grandma used to say Van Gogh had nothing on me."

He shrugs, "She's right."

I laugh and shake my head, "You can't compare us, our art styles are too different."

He turns around in my hold and raises his brows, "Well from a non-educated art critic with absolutely zero credibility... you beat Van Gogh, Da Vinici, Monet–"

I gasp with heavy sarcasm, "Not Monet!"

He nods slowly, eyebrows rising and tilting the the side as his green eyes widen in love and humour, "And Picasso."

I'm near laughing at him, my smile widening by the second, a laugh bubbling to break free, "Are they the only artists you know?"

He rolls his lips into his mouth, looking off to the side, "Her new bed is gonna make bedtime book time even easier–"