Nine

"Where are you going?" Ashton mumbles, startling Michael slightly, he thought all his bandmates were asleep.

"I'll be back in a few, just need to stretch my legs." Michael shrugs. Truthfully he'd be passed out alongside the others if he weren't trying to pull off this surprise. The flight from Paris had been long and filled with turbulence, making it nearly impossible to sleep. Despite how exhausted he is, his focus is entirely on the fact that for a short few minutes, he and Jo will be in the same airport again. He has to at least try to see her.

Pulling the hoodie of his jacket up he slips his mask back over his face, hoping to hide his identity for the most part to those whom he may pass in the terminal. If he misses Jo because he gets stopped by a fan he might actually hate himself. Taking the tram to the next terminal he tries to stay inconspicuous, watching the update of her flight on his phone, seeing that it's just touched down.

Double checking the gate number one more time he takes the escalator up to the main level, heading right down the wing towards her gate. His hands are sweating as he sees the large block number come into view, his heart beating erratically with excitement and nerves. Once he reaches the gate he finds a place to prop himself up against a pillar directly across from where the passengers will exit the jetway, hoping she'll recognize him behind the hood and mask.

***

"Twenty minutes ladies, we'll meet at baggage claim 5 and get on the bus. No one should be late today considering how short our flight was." Jo chuckles along with the group as they deplane, knowing someone is always late, no matter how short the flights are.

Following A'ja off the jetway she does a double take as she looks up, a man standing with his hood up and a mask on across the space, bright green eyes already watching her.

"Hey, keep walking, JP." Dearica laughs, bumping her forward, shaking her from the shock she'd instantly gone into.

"What the fuck?" She mumbles to herself, walking across the space towards him, not believing it's who she thinks it is.

"Hey, Jo." He chuckles, his eyes creasing as he grins from below the mask.

"Michael?" She half gasps, throwing her arms around his neck.

"Surprise." He mumbles into her shoulder, lifting her off the ground as he hugs her tightly.

"What the fuck? How are you here?" She laughs, refusing to let go for another moment.

"We landed from Paris about two hours ago. Our flight to LA got delayed so I had time." He explains quietly as he sets her back on her feet, letting her step back half a step.

"But—"

"Jackie may have given me your flight itinerary when I asked." He shrugs, answering her question before she can ask it.

"I'll have to thank her for that." She shakes her head, "I cannot believe you're standing in front of me right now."

"I know, we really need to stop meeting like this." He chuckles, his fingers reaching out to grasp hers again, "Ten minute talks in the airport are just not enough."

"Better than not at all though." She sighs, stepping forward again, burying her head into his chest.

"Ya, but a few days together would be even better."

"A dream honestly." She nods, inhaling the delicate sweet scent that accompanied his hoodie.

"Don't plan anything between May 22nd and May 27th. You have one home game and practice but don't plan anything else, okay?"