Twenty-Five

"What's the news, JP?" Coach asks as the team files into the locker room, having won the game by thirty points.

"Full anterior dislocation of the shoulder, they got it back into place. They want me to have it fully evaluated as soon as possible. But no concussion." She sighs, "We should probably change my flight from Connecticut to Vegas tomorrow if at all possible. I'm no help to the team if I'm injured and the longer I go without an evaluation the longer we wait to know if it's a month or a year recovery."

"Let's all pray it's only a month." Dearica speaks up from her locker space beside Jo's. "We need you for playoffs."

"I'd like to be healthy for playoffs, and for the World Cup, but I won't have answers until I'm back in Vegas and see a doctor."

"Nat," She calls to one of the other coaches, "can you work on getting JP's flights switched to Vegas? See if we can get her home tomorrow?"

"On it."

"You'll keep me informed on exactly what the doctors say?" Coach turns back to her.

"I'll have them forward everything to Tyler so the team has documentation of all the doctor's recommendations and diagnostics." Jo nods gently, the action still extremely painful.

"Good. Nat will send you your flight info, you're leaving here separate from the team right?"

"Ya, and if possible I'd like to go sooner rather than later. It's been a long night, and I am in a lot of pain."

"Go, we'll get you flight info, you send me your appointment info and call me as soon as you're done too."

"I will. Good luck in Connecticut on Sunday, I'll be watching from my recovery bed." She calls to the team at large.

"We're winning for you now, JP!" Chelsea hollers.

"I want to see a few jumpers just for me." She laughs at her friend.

"We'll hit them for you." Theresa nods.

"I'll be at practice Monday, even if I can't do much." She offers, waving with her good hand before picking up her duffle, gritting her teeth slightly at the weight pulling on her back, and shoulder.

Walking back up the tunnel to the arena she can't help but smile as she sees Michael talking to someone in the stands near where he'd sat the whole game. Watching as he leans in to hug the girl who's clearly a fan before she points over his shoulder and wanders away. Michael spins as soon as the fan points, hurrying towards Jo as his eyes land on her.

"Are you okay?" He asks quickly, shouldering her bag before she can even ask.

"No." She sighs, "I mean, physically I will be eventually but mentally I'm not doing too hot, and I'm in a lot of pain."

"How can I help?" He frowns, wanting to hug her but very afraid that would only lead to him hurting her.

"The first thing I want is a hot shower, but I'm definitely going to need help with that."

"I'm in." He grins devilishly.

"Not going to be like the shower we had a couple nights ago, bubs." She laughs.

"I know, but I'm still in." He shrugs, "Come on, I've got an Uber waiting."

Jo is uncharacteristically quiet as their Uber takes them back across the bridge into Manhattan, the only sounds she really makes are a few annoyed sighs as she declines a couple of calls that come through on her phone. Michael watches her the whole time, wishing she'd tell him anything about what she's thinking or feeling.