Twenty-Four

⚠️TW// high⚠️

Michael makes his way into the arena about twenty minutes before the game is due to start, finding himself a snack before heading to the portal his seat is located in. When he'd gone to the game with Jackie she'd got their tickets, and although the seats were nice, the seat he purchased for tonight will be even better. They'd sat about seven rows up in Vegas, but tonight he's on the first row, close to the bench, ready to make sure Jo can hear him cheering for her.

"Ticket, sir." A security guard asks as he reaches the lower area of seats, producing both the pass hanging around his neck and his digital ticket to show his seat number. "Right this way, Mr. Clifford." The gentleman nods, leading him all the way to his seat.

"Thanks." He smiles, settling himself into the chair. It's exactly the view he wanted, not entirely hidden behind the bench, he can still see the whole court, but close enough to know he'll be able to hear the conversations on the bench.

Neither team is on the floor when he takes his seat, though a couple of the assistant coaches are milling about, preparing things for the game. Michael frowns slightly when he overhears two of Jo's coaches talking about the starting line up and he doesn't hear her name. She'd started all the games so far this season, why not this one too?

Michael can tell Jo isn't in a great mood when the team reappears for the start of the game. Her face is set in a sort of scowl and her shooter shirt is still on over her jersey as she takes her spot in the lineup to cheer on the starters, proving to him he hadn't heard wrong when the coaches had been talking. He tries to catch Jo's eye as she takes a seat on the bench, but she purposefully adverts her eyes, taking the seat closest to the coaches.

It doesn't take long before Jo is put into the game, a sideline throw in after a foul not even a full minute into the game gives her the opportunity to sub in for her teammate. She's dynamite as soon as she's on the court, getting a steal and basket the first time she touches the ball. She follows the first basket up with an assist, two rebounds and seven more points before the first quarter ends. Getting the chance to start the second quarter she keeps up the momentum, leading her team in points and playing one of her best games yet this season, Michael would argue the best he'd watched, and he was grateful he was here in person to do so.

***

"JP, you are killing it out there, keep it up for the second half." Coach Hammon grabs her as they stand to head back out for the second half.

"Never going to take me off the bench now are you..." Jo laughs.

"I didn't want you in the messiness of the tip, not with your sore shoulder. You'll get your starting spot back as soon as Tyler clears your shoulder this week. Although you do play hard off the bench."

"I don't like coming off the bench." Jo chuckles, "I will if you make me, but I really would rather start."

"You'll get the chance again. Let's go get this win though. Keep up the good work."

"Forty point night?" Jo laughs, knowing, despite her eighteen points in the first half, it's unlikely for her to actually reach forty points in the game.

"Shoot for the stars." Coach laughs as they reenter the arena, Jo jogging to the bench to grab some water.

"Whoooo! MVP!" She shakes her head as Michael starts cheering at her, "Best in the world!" He adds, winking at her when her eyes finally meet his, mouthing I love you to her quickly as she heads back onto the floor with her team.

"That boy is a simp for you, JP." Chelsea laughs as she falls in step beside Jo as they head to position for the start of the third quarter.

"I kinda like him." Jo shrugs, taking the ball from the ref since their team will start the half with possession.