Is This Plot Point Necessary?

Welcome one, and welcome all, to the game-show that--

How rude of me.

Happy New Year! I hope everyone has a wonderful and superb 2023! Here is to another year of reviewing, writing advice, wonderful literature, and exhaustion!

Anyways. Commercial break over.

Though, we are on Wattpad. There are commercials everywhere. Especially on mobile. And since, earlier this month, I volunteered to judge the paranormal section of an award series...

Werewolves with six-packs. Werewolves with six-packs everywhere.

Anyways!

Welcome to the game-show, Is This Plot Point Necessary! I am your host, and this is how the game will work:

- I will ask a series of questions.

- You answer the series of questions.

- You get money depending on your answer. Imaginary money, of course. If I had actual money, I would own like six thousand trampolines and spend the rest of my life teaching eels how to tap dance.

Before we launch into the game, I should explain what a plot point is!

A plot point is something in your story that either impacts the direction of your story, or even your character. It can be a turning point, or it can be a random troll blocking the bridge that makes it harder for your protagonist to reach the other side. These points in your plot give your story tension, momentum, and keep the story moving.

Imagine a story with no plot points. It would just be some human going about their day, with nothing significant happening to them at all. Wake up. Drink tea. Go to work. Complete their work normally. Get home. Make dinner. Sleep. Repeat. Over and over and over again.

Boring!

Even though we are not book characters, all of us have plot points in our lives! I had a pretty big one yesterday--my neighbour's house was on fire, and that was every shade of dramatic. But some of us have blooming love stories, or exciting auditions, or high school drama, or accidents, or you were nominated for the Wattys! Anything that gives you some sort of different feeling and impacts your life is your own plot point!

Difference between a plot and a plot point? Your plot is the series of plot points connected together to make your story. Your plot point is each individual moment that contributes to it.

With that in mind, let's launch right into it.

Pick a plot point. And proceed with the questions:

Q1: Does this plot point create any development or change in the character involved?

This includes:

- A character learning something.

- A character changing in some way.

- A relationship between characters developing or changing.

- A relationship between characters and readers developing or changing.

If the answer is 'yes', then you have just earned yourself $100. You may proceed to the next question.

If the answer is 'no', then your plot point is needs revising!

Q2: Is this plot point compelling and engaging for your reader?

If the answer is 'yes', then you have just earned yourself $200. You may proceed to the next question.

If the answer is 'no', then your plot point is needs revising! You have left the game with $100.