Chapter 3.

I stared blankly as he carefully walked closer to me

I stared blankly as he carefully walked closer to me. I rarely cried in front of people. I felt horrible knowing that he witnessed it.

"Did you see everything?" I asked him, not meeting his eyes, feeling a little ashamed. I didn't want anybody to think that I was a crybaby.

"I didn't see the whole thing but I saw you leave with teary eyes. And if I know Jake well enough, I know what he did." He stepped closer and tilted my head up to meet his eyes.

He brushed a tear with his thumb and asked, "Have you already fallen for him?" I could see a look of pity in his eyes.

I stared at him for a moment then looked away. "No. I still feel nothing for him but the way he treated me made me feel used. Like I'm an object, meant to be used and thrown, not a person. I feel insulted. It didn't break my heart but it bruised my self respect. I deserve to be treated better than this."

Tears rolled down my cheeks and I couldn't stop them. "Shitty treatment is the last thing I need from a person. More tears. I actually went there to end this thing between us. To tell him I longer want to-"

I suddenly felt his hard chest pressed against my cheek. He had engulfed me in a warm embrace, stroking my back with one hand and patting my head with the other. "Shhh.... It's okay, Ariel. Breathe." I closed my eyes and allowed the tears to spill without restraint.

His hug oddly felt comforting. Those few minutes in his arms made me forget everything that happened just moments ago. All I could think about was how safe I felt in his embrace. I was no longer worried about being seen as a crybaby. I cried to my heart's content and he just held me there, not making a move to pull away.

A huge wet spot was decorating his shirt by the time I finally pulled away. "I didn't take you for a hugger." I said, wiping my face with the back of my sleeve.

"I didn't know what else to do. It's not like pretty girls cry in front of me everyday. But I've heard hugging helps." He said, rubbing the back of his neck, looking embarrassed.

Did he just call me pretty?

"It does help. I feel a lot better now. Thank you. And I'm sorry for the mess I made on your shirt." I said, pointing to the tear stains.

"Don't worry. I was heading home anyway. Let me drop you. I also have tissues in my car." He gave me a small smile.

"Okay. I don't want others to see my tear stained face, red eyes and running nose. It's bad enough that you saw it." I laughed and we walked to his car.

I used almost the entire tissue box in an attempt to fix my appearance. I stared out the window when I was finally done and we drove in silence for a while.

"You are not like him, are you? I don't understand how you guys are best friends. I mean, from what I've seen, I can see you don't agree with a lot of his life choices." I finally said what was on my mind for the last few minutes.