Chapter 24.

My lips cracked into a smile at the thought that she came to talk to me

My lips cracked into a smile at the thought that she came to talk to me. It immediately disappeared when I saw her swaying on her feet.

She wasn't in the right frame of mind.

"Ariel?" I called out to gain her attention and she squinted her eyes to see clearly. Confusion became evident on her face as recognition settled in.

"You- you look just like Kevin. But he left already." She absently scratched the side of her head and rubbed her eyes to double check her vision. I found the action adorable.

"Oh, I know." She raised her hand like a child excited to answer a question in class, and giggled before saying, "It's a dreeeeam. I'm so smart."

She looked quite delighted with herself at the deduction and I didn't want to burst her happy bubble, so I didn't tell her the truth.

"I am not sleeping and you are already in my dream. Loooll. You must miss me sooo bad." She wobbled inside the room.

"Yes. I do." I admitted and she flashed me a big smile full of teeth and gums, making my heart flutter.

"Mee tooo." She excitedly squealed, pointing a finger at herself.

My heart nearly leaped out of my chest. How does she do it so effortlessly? Making me feel things without ever trying, killing me every second without ever realizing. 

I scooted to the edge of the bed and attempted to help her sit when her feet tripped over each other and she fell face first into my chest.

I tried to sit her up but she showed no co-operation as she continued laughing. God, I had missed that sound so much.

"Oopsss. I fell. Sorry." I steadied her, checked if she was hurt anywhere, removed her heels, and made her sit beside me.

"Are you okay?"

She frantically nodded at me. "M'fine. You saved me. You are always there to save me."

I wasn't there to save you from your past.

I must've said that out loud because she pouted at me, her eyebrows drawing closer.

"This is different from other dreams." She crossed her hands and huffed loudly. "You were supposed to say something romantic and then we'd fuck like crazy rabbits."

How frequently does she have those dreams?

"This is not a dream. And you currently hate me, so you wouldn't want to do that anyways." I said with a heavy heart and a tight lipped smile.

"Hate? You? Pfft. For what? Being the best thing that ever happened to me? For doing abluso-"

She thinks I'm the best thing that ever happened to her?