Chapter 13.

"Me? But why?" I didn't understand what could've happened all of a sudden

"He said some things. Things.... I didn't like. Things.... he shouldn't have said." He gave me the simplest version but I wasn't having it.

"Kevin, you promised! Now go ahead and explain." I got off his lap and stood beside the chair, folding my arms in front of me.

"Erm.... When I went back to my place after spending the night at yours, he said that you are using me as a rebound. He said that you sleep around, you slept with him first, now you are sleeping with me, tomorrow you'll sleep with someone else. He called you... a whore. So I might or might not have punched him. That's why I'm crashing here tonight."

He sighed and rubbed the back of his neck. I stayed silent. Was I bothered by Jake's words? No. Was I worried that Kevin might be bothered by his words? Yes. Very.

"So...do you believe him? Do you think I'm using you as a rebound? Do you think I sleep around?" I picked up the towel from the floor, suddenly feeling exposed in my lace bra and panties.

I wrapped it around my frame and walked to the fridge to grab a water bottle. I couldn't meet his eyes. I was afraid of what I'd see in them. Regret? Disgust?

"No. I don't believe any of those things. You wouldn't have been so considerate of my pleasure if you were using me. You've never once forced me to do something. You stopped whenever I asked you to."

He hugged me from behind and rested his head on my shoulder, the faint smell of his beer shampoo wafting into my nostrils. Somehow, this simple gesture seemed much more intimate to me than any of the things we did sexually.

He continued, "And you could've easily climbed into someone else's bed if you just wanted a partner to sleep around. But you chose to be patient with me."

I was at a loss of words. Kevin had every reason to believe Jake because I did indeed sleep with him but he chose to believe me. I was overwhelmed by the amount of trust Kevin had in me.

"Thanks, Kevin. This means so much more to me than you might think." My voice cracked a little. I turned around and hugged his chest. He stroked my hair and kissed the top of my forehead.

"Hopefully, I'll find a new place soon." He sighed, hugging me close.

"You can stay here in the meantime. What were you planning on doing if I didn't suggest it?" I raised an eyebrow at him.

"I don't know. Staying at some friend's place I guess."

"What friend are you talking about? I'm your only friend other than Jake." I meant it as a joke but became sad as soon as I said that.

I'm the reason he's no longer friends with Jake. I'm the reason they fought.

He noticed the look on my face. "It's not your fault Ariel. Don't even think about blaming yourself. It's his own fault. He shouldn't have said all that knowing I'm your friend as well. If he thought he could spout any nonsense and I'd let him then he was wrong. He put me in that position, not you."