Chess - Snippet

Sitting down crosslegged, I moved another one of my chest pieces forward. My moves were perfect and I knew that, but I couldn't help but be wary of my opponent for some reason.

"Really Sia..."

With a monotone voice, he spoke as his eyes calmly scanned over the chessboard, examining my move.

"Your natural intelligence is something that leaves even me in awe."

His long, slender fingers traced over the chessboard, picking up his queen and proceeding with a move I didn't expect from him.

It was one of the worst possible moves he could've done in that situation. He was essentially begging me to lose. I assumed that he had already realized my intentions of trapping his King and finishing him off, and was already prepared for him to use one of the many options available to him to escape my trap.

However, he didn't.

My expression turned into one of confusion as I furrowed my eyebrows, staring at the chessboard for a while, before raising my head, and looking directly into the face of my opponent.

Ayanokoji Kiyotaka.

The direct antithesis of me.

While I still didn't know much about him as a person or his past, I could say without a doubt that he is perfect.

And no, I'm not saying that as flattery or hyperbole. From what I observed, Ayanokoji Kiyotaka is a person, who would be considered perfect by human standards.

Intelligence, strength, knowledge, looks, manipulation skills, martial art skills, and many more abilities. 

He could do it all.

And as such, his actions as of this moment surprised me. I expected him to choose the best possible option, but he chose the worst instead.

"The ability to calculate every possible move in chess is something even a supercomputer would never even hope to achieve. Disregarding the processing speed, the supercomputer would have to have access to storage, which even surpassed the amount of atoms we have on earth."

His brown eyes locked with mine.

"And you are able to do it. And at a speed, which far surpasses that of a supercomputer. You are quite a frightening person, Sia."

"I'll take it as a compliment." I grinned at his remark. "However, calling your girlfriend frightening wouldn't be something a gentleman would do, Kiyotaka."

"Is that so?" He raised an eyebrow in response. "I would say that frightening is quite a fitting word to describe you."

I shook my head, before diverting my attention back to the game again.

"I beg to differ. You are more frightening than me. While my raw intelligence might be impressive, it doesn't compare to someone who is good at literally anything he does."

"I am not good at cooking, though."

"You know what I mean."

Again, I scanned the current situation of the game, and again, I came to the conclusion that his move was a foolish one.

Did he just make a mistake?

I couldn't see any merit in taking such a path and just chose to proceed with the best possible option. In only two more moves, I would end this game with a checkmate.

Thinking about my soon-to-be victory, a small smile formed on my face.

"However..."

Kiyotaka started talking again, and he immediately started with his turn. I expected him to be at least a little worried or panicked due to his mistake, but there was no trace of that. His voice was calm and his movements were elegantly smooth.