Chapter 11: Mid term

Part 1

"Hey Ayanokoji, do you think that I could teach them some kind of language that could bypass the cameras?"

"Wouldn't it be easier to just teach them the new content?"

"Mhm...you're right, but I don't think that's enough time for them to learn everything. I would be teaching them from the basics, which would've taken them around two weeks, but it seems like the change of content doesn't make it possible anymore..."

"How about just letting them drop out."

Raising a brow, I looked at Ayanokoji with a critical gaze. He and I knew exactly why it's important to keep someone such as Sudou in our class, so his sudden change of mind seemed a little weird to me.

"Who are you? Horikita? You know why something like that isn't possible. While he isn't very good academically, his presence could balance out physically weak students like me."

"What if someone else would t..." Ayanokoji interrupted himself, before releasing a deep sigh, and shaking his head. "Nothing. Forget what I said."

Although I was curious, I didn't want to annoy him, thus deciding that I should direct the topic of the conversation to something else. After class, Ayanokoji immediately urged me to go to the cafeteria with him, which is quite uncharacteristic for him.

I wonder whether it is because he actually needed me or if he wanted to keep Kushida away from following him. At the beginning of the break, Kushida seemed like she wanted to talk to him, but he quickly avoided that situation by talking to me.

Ever since the first  incident of the study group, there is a weird tension between them. Whether it is a romantic one or a strained one, I can't tell, but I'm sure that something happened between them.

I wonder if he would answer me honestly when I would ask him directly. Probably not. He never gives me any concrete answers in the first place, so there's no reason to assume Mr. Mysterious would give me a clear answer this time.

"Why are we heading to the cafeteria anyway?"

Instead of questioning his relationship with Kushida, I decided to ask something else.

"You'll see."

Without giving me a concrete answer, we made our way to the cafeteria. Before long, we entered the confusion of the cafeteria and got to the meal ticket machine. After we both bought a ticket for a portion, Ayanokoji moved away from the ticket vending machine and didn't line up at the counter.

"What are you doing..?"

I looked at him with a curious look, trying to understand the meaning behind his actions. Ayanokoji narrowed his eyes, seemingly trying to detect something, though I couldn't understand what exactly he was looking for.

"There is a possibility that this will lead to an answer to what I was concerned about."

He remained quiet after finishing his sentence, carefully observing the students. I tried to follow his gaze, but I seemingly couldn't see the view he was seeing.

The first 18 students all seemed like they were from a pretty wealthy class. Although their amount of wealth differed greatly, judging by the price of the ticket they bought.

Oh, the next one was the girl I'd bumped into in the convenience store...Kamuro was it..? It seems like she bought the most expensive meal, huh? I expected nothing different from a class A student.

The person after Kamuro was a senpai. With heavy steps, he walked toward the vending machine, before buying a free ticket. A class D student, huh? He must be in a similar situation as us.