Chapter 6: First of May

Part 1

With the early arrival of the first of May, many students were excited at the thought of getting their allowance again. Even though it was an amount of 100.000 yen for each and every student, the majority of our class already managed to spend all of it.

It will also be the day when my theory will be confirmed. According to that, I will correspondingly decide whether I should actually try or just keep lazing off in the back of my class.

...I would probably keep lazing off anyway, but trying to convince myself that I actually cared is at least a step in the right direction, right?

"The first of May is coming."

Just like me, Ayanokoji stared out of the window, watching the birds chirp on the twig of a tree.

"I guess. We'll see then if I was right with my theory or not."

"Horikita also wondered about that."

"I see. Judging by the fact that all exceptional people like the student council president, Itoshi Sae and Michael Kaiser are in class A, there is probably another reason behind Class A. I also heard that they have a genius in class A."

"Like a ranking you mean? And why did you mention Itoshi Sae and Michael Kaiser?"

His expression darkened for a moment. I always notice small changes in his face or behaviour, but I can never put my finger on what exactly changed. It's almost like I'm reading the plot of an empty book.

"Yea, like a ranking. After the incident at the club conference, I was curious about why the soccer club wanted them in their team so badly. It seems like they are geniuses in soccer or something and according to other rumours, their intelligence doesn't seem to be bad either."

"It must be quite nice to be athletic, good-looking and intelligent, huh?"

"I'm not sure whether you're serious or just trying to praise yourself."

Ayanokoji's expressions barely changed whenever he was making a joke, so it was quite hard to notice the distinction. I'm still not entirely sure if he just has some issues with introspection or is just joking about his 'averageness'.

Either that or my judgement of him was wrong. There is always the possibility that I'm wrong, but that's it. It's only a possibility and I am rarely ever wrong.

"I don't know what you mean."

Ayanokoji however, reacted unfazed as he always does. I probably shouldn't overthink this too much. Especially when judging humans there are too many variables I can't calculate or reason by using logic, so I won't ever come to a conclusion regarding this topic.

"It's...nothing..."

Releasing a light sigh, I shook my head.

"I'm just failing to distinguish fiction and reality, I guess."

Right, there was no reason why Ayanokoji would hold back. Considering that how he would do in this school would affect his future, holding back in such an environment would be senseless. This isn't some kind of fictional story or something. I should stop considering such silly possibilities.

DING DONG

The ringing of the bell signalled the start of the next period. Third period, history.

Chiyabashira-sensei's class. Walking in, she immediately distorted her face at the notice that our class still wasn't preparing for class. They were lazing around and chatting as if we were still on a break.

"Everyone, be quiet— Today's class will be more serious."

"What do you mean~ Sae-chan-sensei~"

I cringed. What a nickname to give to a scary-looking person like her. If she would glare at me, I would probably fold and avert my gaze under that pressure.