Chapter 9: Piano and calligraphy

Part 1

"You're really good at cooking, Hirano!" Kushida said when she finished her portion of the food.

"That's great to hear. Though I think there is probably much to be improved on."

"No, no. It's great. Don't you also think so, Ayanokoji?"

"Yeah, it is."

Since he had arrived here, Ayanokoji had been acting strangely quiet. Not that he was someone who talked very much, but he still talked less than he usually did. Did something happen between him and Kushida? ...probably not. He might just be uncomfortable when someone else is around.

"Oh, it's so late already!"

As if trying to divert the focus somewhere else, Kushida called out when she looked at her phone.

"Really?" I asked, also looking at my phone screen.

She was right. It was late. Way too late for a girl such as her to walk back to her room alone.

"You should probably take Ayanokoji with you when leaving then. It's dangerous for you to walk to your room alone."

"No, no. It's alright. I only have to walk a few meters, so the likelihood of something happening to me is low."

"Still, there's still the chance of something  happening, especially to someone like you."

She paused momentarily, seemingly pondering before tilting her head, and flashing me a warm smile.

"You really are a warm person, aren't you?"

I raised a brow. "Really? I've been told that I'm cold."

I always had trouble identifying and expressing my emotions, so that wasn't an unjustifiable thing to call me.

Kushida shook her head, her smile still unwavering.

"No, I think that you're a really warm person. Even if you don't show it very often."

"...thank you?"

I wasn't sure if what she was saying was the truth or just lip service, but I decided to accept her words just as it is. I didn't know how to respond to compliments and I think it really showed at that moment.

Turning to Ayanokoji, I tried to change the topic. He seemed uncomfortable, so I should probably try to end this situation as soon as possible.

"Would you be okay with bringing Kushida to her room, Ayanokoji?"

His expression didn't change, but he didn't act like he normally would. To me, he seemed a little...reluctant?

"...sure."

Again, he only responded with a short sentence. Standing up, Ayanokoji immediately put on his shoes and walked to the door, silently waiting for Kushida to come.

"Isn't it rude to go now? Hirano would have to wash all the dishes by herself then."

"No, it's okay Kushida. I'll do them by myself."

"Hm...alright."

With me reassuring her that it was okay, she and Ayanokoji left the door, silently closing it behind them. Now left alone in my room, I grabbed the empty plates, preparing to wash them. However, right as I wanted to start, my phone rang.

I got a notification.

For a while, I pondered whether I should look at it later or now, but my curiosity got the better of me, thus resulting in me interrupting what I was doing now and looking at my phone.