Chapter 12: Revoking the expulsion

Part 1

"Good job, Sudou. It seems like you've been doing well in the exam."

Although I wasn't 100% sure, I could more or less guess that he had a bunch of questions right by the sound of his pen. Sudou sat on his seat with an irritated look, tapping his finger on the table in a rhythmic manner.

"I don't know... I did what I could, but I don't know how well I did..."

"It'll be fine. There's no way you'll fail after all my hard work."

Mustering a slight smile, I tried to cheer him up. Admittedly, I wasn't good at comforting people and just copied the way Kushida behaved when trying to cheer someone up. By smiling and saying some reassuring words.

"You're really bad at comforting people, y'know?"

I rolled my eyes before releasing a quiet chuckle.

"If that's the case, then let me be direct. I used my precious time to teach you, so it's your job to succeed. You didn't waste my time, did you? You said you wanted to be a professional basketball player, so keep your word."

"You're right...even though I might be stuck living a sad life as a part-time worker, I'm going to succeed."

His prior nervosity seemed to be gone, instead replaced with a newfound fighting spirit. Seeing that, I nodded.

"That's what I wanted to hear. Now the only thing that's left is waiting for the results. Oh, by the way, Ayanokoji, and Sakura, how was it for you two?"

After making sure that Sudou didn't fall into despair, I turned my attention toward Ayanokoji and Sakura. Even though I was sure that Ayanokoji wouldn't have any problems, I thought that I should at least ask.

"I-I think it went pretty well...the old questions Kushida brought us really saved me."

Sakura let out nan relieved sigh. It seems like she is pretty confident about her performance, which coming from her, must mean a lot.

"We'll see."

Compared to Sakura, Ayanokoji only gave me a cryptic answer. Not like I expected something else, but it would've been nice if he was direct for once.

"But you still remember the reward for being the highest scorer, right?"

"You mean the date with me or Kushida? I do, but as long as it isn't Sudou who wins, I'll be fine. And even if it was Sudou, it's not like I particularly mind. It's just a date, after all."

"So you would go on a date with just anyone?"

Hearing my words, Ayanokoji's eyes narrowed as his voice gained a subtle, cold tone. Not only me, but even Sakura could feel the sudden change of atmosphere.

"... I...no..? It's just that it was for the greater good and it's not like I would ever be interested in romance anyway. Isn't love just a chemical reaction in your brain? Seems pretty overrated to me."

"That doesn't make it any less meaningful. Thoughts are also just electrochemical reactions, but that doesn't mean that they're less meaningful, right?"

"Mhm. You're right. I just don't get the whole deal with emotions, love, and all that stuff. How does it even feel like to be in love?"

"You really don't know, Sia?"

Sakura seemed to be surprised at my question, looking at me as if I was some kind of weird otherwordly being.

"I thought everybody experienced being in love or at least having a crush at some point?"