Chapter 8: Study group

Part 1

"What was your reason for accepting her offer?"

Ayanokoji leaned against my bed, waiting for me to finish cooking the food. Since the start of my school life, my culinary skills have greatly improved because I was forced to cook to save as many points as possible.

"Well, if I had to give you a reason...then it would be you and Sakura."

Absentmindedly, I answered while preparing the plating for the food.

"What do you mean by that?"

"Even though you don't want to reach class A, wouldn't it be better for you to reach it? It sure is a helpful tool for your future, isn't it?"

"You aren't wrong about that, but wouldn't that be also helpful to you?"

"No, not really." I said as I picked up the plates, bringing them over to the table in the centre of my room. "I won't have any need for that."

"I see. Will you also lead some cooperation like Koenji then?"

"Me? Well, not exactly, but you could say that it's quite similar."

Tilting my head, I thought about what I would do after my school life. It depended on how this experience would impact me, but for now, I would probably go back to how I always lived. Like a shut-in with money.

"I see. Will you go back to live in isolation, then?"

I froze up. I had never told Ayanokoji about my past before, so how would he know how I lived my life?

"W..what do you mean?"

I tried to hide my initial surprise by overplaying it. For some reason, my instincts told me that I was being assessed right now and I certainly didn't like that feeling.

Ayanokoji took the plates out of my hands and put them on the table, before taking a sip from his cup of tea and a deep breath.

"You are thin, almost frighteningly so. While you mentioned your aunt once and told me she's very kind-hearted and cares about you, she seemingly doesn't feed you very well, which means that she isn't home very often.

You also mentioned that you forget about your own well-being often, meaning that you most likely only really ate, when your aunt was at home and reminded you, thus being alone most of the time. Your long-term memory is almost perfect, but you still managed to score 0 points in history and geography, which means that you probably never learned about those things.

It seems like even Ike or Sudou managed to score a few points in those subjects, as they were taught in middle school, but you, who has a better memory than them, couldn't score a single point. What does that mean? Of course, you never learnt it and that could only be achieved by not going to middle school.

You also seem to have an underlying fear of adults, which would mean that you couldn't have worked at a job. At least not in the outside world. Maybe something you could do from your room? I think tha—."

"That's enough, Ayanokoji. I get it."

Seriously, I always had a hunch that Ayanokoji was severely holding back, but his observation ability and his skills in deduction are quite frightening. It made me wonder what it would look like if he was serious and went all out against the other classes.

"Why do you keep lying about holding back when you openly show your abilities like this?"

"Like what?"

"Like everything you just did. Your showcases of observation and deduction."

"Oh." He said, before taking a bite of his food. I could hear a quiet 'it's good.' before he proceeded to talk. "Why would I keep lying to you?"