Chapter 1: First meetings

The landscape in front of my eyes flashed away in a blur as the bus progressively drove to our destination.

The advanced nurturing high school.

A school established by the Japanese government to nurture young graduates who will support Japanese society in the future. It also boasts a 100% employment and college entry rate, which is one of the main reasons one would consider choosing this as their high school.

Of course, getting in wasn't easy, as one would have to go through an interview and pass the exam, but it was certainly worth it.

That is, if you plan to be a part of Japanese society someday.

Seriously, why would I want to be a part of the society with the highest suicide rates? Judging by that fact alone, it wasn't absurd to assume that there were some major flaws in our society.

Originally, I had planned to just stay in my room and earn money by participating in online tournaments in various games, so there was no need for me to go to school and graduate. However, life isn't always as easy as I wish it to be, so my aunt registered me for this school without ever telling me.

I winced at the memory of my entrance exam. Honestly, I don't even know how I passed, as I barely answered any of those questions.

While subjects such as mathematics, Japanese, English, and science were easy for me, I probably completely failed in Japanese literature and social studies.

I never cared about them, so my knowledge about those subjects was nonexistent. I am pretty sure, that I failed the entrance exam, so I was pretty surprised when my aunt told me I passed.

Unfortunately.

At first, I wanted to fail the exam on purpose, but considering the effort, my aunt put into it, I didn't want to make her feel bad. I don't exactly know the reason why, but I feel like knowing that I made her feel bad, would also affect me in some way, so I at least tried.

Though even it damaged my ego a little, I still hoped I would fail the exam. I'm still not sure whether to be happy I passed or mad about it, to be honest.

"The scenery is quite beautiful, isn't it?"

"Huh?"

A voice next to me ripped me out of my thought.

Turning my head to the voice, I found myself facing the smiling face of a lilac-haired girl. Her features were quite extraordinary, as I was pretty sure that lilac hair and violet eyes weren't common. At least I've never seen them before.

"You've been staring out of the window for the whole ride. Am I mistaken that you've been watching the scenery?"

Oh, that's what she meant. I shook my head before responding with a faint smile. Truthfully, I felt a little embarrassed as I didn't even notice her sitting next to me.

"I was just a little lost in thoughts. But looking at it now, you're right. The scenery is quite beautiful."

"You were lost in thoughts? What have you been thinking about?"

The girl seemed to be quite curious, as she asked me while tilting her head by approximately 15 degrees.

Cute...

"Nothing much. I've just been thinking about the school. I've not been to school for a very long time, so it is kind of weird to go to school again, I guess?"

"You didn't go to school for a long time? Were you perhaps homeschooled?"

I shook my head.

"No, that isn't it. I just stopped going to school someday for personal reasons."