Chapter 4: Sakura Airi/Clubs

Part 1

"He's spending way too much time with Horikita..."

Absentmindedly, I scrolled through my phone, reading through the messages under the forum post of the boy's popularity poll. As barely a week had passed, the poll was solely based on looks.

Unsurprisingly, Hirata, our class' 'Mr. Popular' is ranked pretty high on that poll. He was a rather handsome guy, after all. More specifically, good-looking in a generic harem protagonist kind of way. If our life would've been a light novel, he would probably be a harem protagonist...or not. He doesn't seem like that kind of person.

What was surprising, however, was that Ayanokoji was only ranked 5th. From what I've seen, he was undisputedly the most handsome guy among the first years, but I guess preferences played a major role in such things.

That and his gloomy aura were probably also a factor in why he ranked a little lower.

Turning off my phone, I leaned back in my chair and sighed.

Today was supposed to be the day when the conference for all the school clubs was held, so I wanted to take a look at them with him together. Unfortunately, he already had some plans with Horikita. From what he told me they had met on the bus, which somehow created a bond between them or something.

I wonder if they're dating.

I mean he is the only one she's talking to, so that would certainly explain her weird behavior. Though it sometimes also seem like she was trying to talk to me, I was always too busy to pay more attention to that. And by busy, I mean going to my room and taking a nap as soon as possible.

I was never in a club before, so I was quite curious about how the conference will go, but it seems like I have to go alone.

"Haaaah..."

Another sigh escaped my lips as I sunk into a river of boredom.

With an apathetic gaze, I scanned through the room, watching my classmates chatter about all different kinds of things ranging from appointments to meet up at the mall to a new game that just came out.

I wonder if I should tell them about the possibility of all our actions getting rated. While I do enjoy sharing information and teaching people, that is only if the people are also willing to listen to me and look at our class now...I doubted it.

With the exception of only a few students, most of my classmates acted like immature brats, not paying attention to the classes and skipping whenever they wanted.

Seriously, even if we weren't monitored, why would you act like this when you deliberately chose to go to this school by yourself? They can't possibly think that they could earn the benefits of a government-funded school by slacking off, right?

Shaking off the thoughts, which were worsening my mood, I diverted my attention elsewhere. Maybe I should try going to the mall like everyone else? There is still some time left until the conference...

As I pondered what to do, my eyes wandered through the room and finally lingered on a specific pink-haired girl.

Sakura Airi.

My next victim. Since the beginning of our school life, I had never seen her talk with someone before, which led me to the conclusion she had no friends or at least not anyone in this class or school. It was probably due to her timid personality. Otherwise, she would've gotten fairly popular by now due to her looks alone.

But that wasn't the thing that made me pay attention to her a little more. A few days ago, Sakura let her glasses fall and as I it landed right next to me, I picked them up for her. However, I could immediately tell that the weight of the glasses was a little off.