CHAPTER 40

SLIDE.

"I don't think I can keep playing this game!" You heard Ippei sob. "It's so messed up. I thought that people were much better than this."

You looked over at him in pity. He didn't deserve to be put into such a cruel world. His soul was much too kind and innocent to have to watch everyone around him die.

"He won't last long in a world like this." You heard Chishiya say behind you.

"Yeah." You agreed.

Chishiya moved your jacket collar. "Spade."

Awkwardly, you readjusted the windbreaker jacket after giving the male a quick thanks.

"And you're a diamond."

The buzzer went off again, indicating the end of the round.

"Please give your answer."

"Spade."

The timer went to 0, and you heard the sound of someone's neck exploding. You could only guess that it was Ippei, and after you stopped by his cell to check inside, you saw his dead body on the ground. There was blood splattered all over the walls and a large pool of blood.

"Round thirteen begins now."

You were with Chishiya in the food storage area, both incredibly silent. Both of you were eating crackers, again. He was eating his own bland crackers, while you ate the strawberry ones that he recommended to you a few hours ago.

While the two of you sat peacefully and ate, Banda's partner walked in. As he walked to where the cookies were, you realized that he's taken the same brand before. However he picked a different pack than he had only an hour ago, he chose the white packaged one. You thought back to every hour for all the hours you've seen him with a pack of cookies. They would always be different, and there wasn't a pattern either.

When Matsushita turned around, you quickly turned back to look at the cookies that you had in your hand. Thankfully, he didn't catch you eyeing him.

After you were able to confirm that he wasn't in the same room anymore, you turned to Chishiya. However, as soon as he had left, someone else came in.

It was the woman who was with Yaba. You weren't sure what was more off; the fact that she was here without him, or the fact that she came in right after Matsushita left.

You and Chishiya watched as she tried to act normal while looking through all the aisles of food. She had picked up a bottle of what you guessed was tea. She had also looked at a few things before putting it back. Then she stopped, she stopped right in front of the same cookie section that the previous person had. The difference was that she ended up picking up the black packaged one. You weren't sure what it was, but you immediately felt that something wasn't right. This isn't a mere coincidence when there's only 6 people left, and only 4 excluding Chishiya and you.

She left the cafeteria as soon as she entered and grabbed the few things she wanted. She definitely wasn't breathing steadily with the way that she acted. It was probably just the situation that everyone was in though.

"Hey, don't you think that something is up with those two..?" You brought it up with Chishiya.

He got up and threw his cookie bag away. "They're working with each other."

"It makes sense." You followed behind Chishiya after grabbing a bottle of sweet tea. "You know, this round is going to be interesting."

"This is the last round." The male stopped at the center of the guardroom.