Her Story

"Ryujin, did you know our server tonight? You kept staring at her" my mom asks while she's driving. If she noticed that I was staring, I wonder if Karina noticed it too. That would be so embarrassing. 

Throughout dinner, I noticed that the server kept smiling at me or maybe I was just crazy. Of course she's gonna act friendly and nice, it's part of her job. Although, she's the first person that I really took an interest in or found attractive aside from Lia. 

"No, I don't know her and I wasn't staring. I was just probably looking in her direction but not at her" I speak nonsense in hopes she will believe it. She might. Not because I think my mom is stupid but because she might not care enough. 

"I see" I give myself an imaginary pat on my back. 

"So it looks like Beomgyu and Yeji get along well" I change the subject before my mom mentions something else about the server. 

My mom sighs, "I still can't believe he got someone pregnant. How can he focus on his career if he has a child at such a young age?" 

My mom never ceases to amaze me with her concerns. I would have thought she would be happy that Beomgyu and Yeji are managing to make things work for the baby. 

"He did look happy" Yuna chimes in. 

"I just don't trust that girl. What if her intentions are not pure and she's just gonna use him?"

"But we don't know that, mom. At least try to get to know her before making assumptions like that. We don't know anything about her" I say.

"Why do you keep taking her side?" My mom questions. 

I ask myself the same thing. Why do I keep taking her side? Is it because I feel bad? But why would I feel bad for her? Do I still think that my brother may have ruined her life so I'm trying to make up for it by defending her? 

"I'm not taking her side" I mumble. 

"I think Ryujin is just being fair" Yuna rescues me.

"You are being biased and you keep thinking badly about Yeji when it's not just her doing that she got pregnant. Beomgyu had a part in it too but you're not as harsh with him with this whole thing. If Yeji wanted money from us, I think she would act more shameless than how she's acting now. You can tell that she's being cautious to try not to overstep with anything at the house. I keep trying to put myself in her situation. I don't know what happened with her family but if I had to ask someone else's family for help then it wouldn't feel good" Yuna continues.

"You would never be that stupid, Yuna" I couldn't believe what my ears just heard.

"Have you never made a mistake in your whole life?" I get annoyed now and Yuna is giving me a look. She knows I'm about to fight our mom again.

"How can you say that? What if I get pregnant? I was attending those parties too. What if I hooked up with some guy and I got pregnant?" The thought of it makes me sick. Maybe my gayness is too strong?

"Would you disown me? What are you gonna do? No one in this car knows what that girl is going through and what she's feeling but you're worst, mom. You keep making her out to be a bad person. I've spoken with her a few times and she's not bad. You're worried about Beomgyu's future when he doesn't have to take time off from school or work to recover from giving birth" I argue.

"I know this isn't your ideal situation but at least try to be supportive. Take an interest in other aspects of our lives. Not just our education and future careers" I sarcastically comment.

"I don't feel like arguing with you tonight" she doesn't bother to look at me and she continues to drive in silence.

Yuna sighs, "I just want one peaceful night."