Chapter 12: Lucky Number

Hallie's POV

"Your number is so unlucky." Ella says making me stare at the 13 on my training kit.

"I've had it since the 2016 season with the Spirit, once my teammate left, the number was open so I took it." I reply.

"You could also say it's pretty lucky since the girls been flying." Katie adds making me blush.

A few minutes later, I head out to the training pitch, since I was the last one in the changing rooms.

"Hey Hallie! We're just getting warmed up, we'll go into some drills and finish with a game." Coach smiles at me.

"Okay Coach." I smile back.

"I already told you, call me Casey."

I nod before heading over to Alex Greenwood and Leah.

"Mind if I join?" I ask.

"Of course not." Alex smiles.

20 minutes later, Casey calls us over to start our drills.

"I know it's cold girls, it's still only the start of January. Which is why it is beneficial,to get here on time and stretch your bodies out, to keep them warm."

I zone out whilst I notice the goalkeepers heading over to the goals, with the goalkeeper coach. Emily gives me a subtle wave, which snaps me out of my trance.

"Five of you on each cone, in and out, start off slow, jog, sprint. You know the drill."

—————————————————————————

"Hallie!" Casey calls me over after training.

"Yes?"

"Follow me to my office I want to talk to you about National Teams."

I feel my stomach twist, as my hands start to shake.

As we enter her office, she offers me a coffee but I decline knowing I wouldn't be able, to swallow it with my current nerves.

"I can see that you're worried, but don't worry many players have declined offers." She continues. "Even Leah, she doesn't want to play for England just yet."

I nod whilst smiling.

"I understand you're eligible to play for England and the US? Is that correct?"

"I might be able to play for Spain, since I have a Spanish passport. But if I'm honest its never crossed my mind to play there."

"Okay, we'll cross that out, whats pulling you towards England?"

"I live here. It's my home country you know? Bit of pride for your home country."

"What about the US?" She asks.

"I think it's about my childhood self, I grew up there and loved every aspect of 'soccer' as they call it." I laugh. "I'd like to fulfil her dream."

"Okay, I'm not forcing you to accept either of the calls, if you get called-up to either nation. But I'd like for you to be able, to think about it. You can always swap since this International Break is only friendlies."

"I'll think about it, thank you Casey."

"I'll always have my players best interests at heart. I hope you know that. Don't be afraid, if you take either offer, to take a moment for yourself and choose how you want to do it. You only live once Hallie. Take the opportunity." She smiles.

As I exit, I know exactly what's she talking about. I laugh out loud, knowing she's used my own words against me.

"What are you laughing at? And why did Coach want to see you?" Emily asks.

"Something Casey said to me, and National duties."

"You should totally play for England." She winks at me.

I playfully shove her as we enter the changing rooms.

"Want to come around mine?" She offers.

"Maybe another night, sorry, I really have a Grey's episode I want to watch."

"That's fine. Another night." She says.

"Of course." I smile.

—————————————————————————-

Katie was outside waiting for me, as I still hadn't got my car from my Mum's.

"Thank you for waiting for me."

"It's all good, you didn't take that long."

"Are you sure?" I question.

"I'm sure, stop worrying." She confirms. "Play your music if you like."

"That I can do." I say with a smile.

For the remainder of the car journey, me and Katie sang our hearts out to Taylor Swift classics.

"I should of known you were a Swiftie." She laughs.

"Am I really that stereotypical?" I ask.

"Yes."

"Rude." I mumble.

"Who doesn't love a good bit of Taylor Swift though, eh?" She says.

In the elevator, my phone starts to ring.

Unknown

Flashes across the screen at me. I look at Katie who nods, before answering the phone.

"Hi, Hallie Whitlock. Who's calling?"

"Jill Ellis, I'm hoping you've changed your mind since we last spoke. You have potential, Hallie, I know you think you're showing the world but you can do that at a National level. You've shown me and the team that you can do it for not only one club but three, I've seen some training clips from Manchester United, you're already bossing it."

"Where would the camp be held?" I ask slightly taken aback.

"Michigan, I'd pay for your plane ticket and your return, your kit will be here when you arrive. You don't need to worry about anything."

"Can I have a minute to think about it?" I ask.

"Of course, get back to me before tomorrow."

"Thank you." I say hanging up.

Before Katie can open her mouth, I cut her off. "Not in a rude way, I don't want to hear it. Yes, I just got called up to the USWNT but I need to make this decision on my own."

"I was just going to tell you to take your time, you don't have to rush." She smiles.

"Thank you."