Chapter 18: First Match Day

Hallie's POV

Cleats against the locker room floor, are the only thing that I could hear.

Everybody was in the zone for match day, most girls listening to their own music.

When it's time to warm up, I follow the girls out onto the pitch.

Looking at down at my training top, I run my finger over crest.

"You'll be seeing that a lot more." Ali smiles at me.

Back in the changing rooms, Jill goes through the starting line up, explaining how she wants all of them to contribute and play.

Heading out to the bench, I look around and take in all the sights, to remember my first game with this team.

In the 9th minute Kadidiatou Diani scores.

Even from the bench, you can feel the losers-mentality from the team. Knowing that France can feel it too, they continue to press our defence, firing shots at Alyssa.

At the half, Jill goes through a speech, taking some players off, bringing fresh on.

As we walked back out, I pulled Becky back.

"You and the rest of the team on the pitch, need to get the losers-mentality out of your heads. I can see it and I know France can too. Exploit the wings, they're tight in the centre."

Becky nods stern before gathering her teammates and hopefully relaying what I've just said.

When I get to the bench, I sit next to Ali and grab a drink.

"What did you say to Becky?" Ash questions as everyone on the bench looks at me.

"Exploit the wings, defence is tight in the centre. Get rid of the poor mentality."

"No one else would of had the guts to say that, other can Carli." Rose admits.

"I've had a say in every team I've been in. I don't know why I'd stop now."

Carli smiles at me. "I like the way you stand up for things you believe are right. You'd make a good captain one day."

"She's right Hal, you always used to round up the troops." Ali laughs as I hit her on the leg.

"You made Carlos smile." Ash gasps.

Carli gives her a glare. "You know I don't like it, when people call me that."

Ash laughs, before we focus on the game again, just in time to see Diani score her second.

"It's not working." I mumble.

"What's not?" Carli asks.

"The way they've been told to play. They're all too scared to take risks, if you don't take any nothing will ever come from it. Alex needs to position herself in between the two central defenders. Whilst Mal and Christen go out as far as possible. Middys need to compact tightly, as France are coming through the middle. I've seen the back line play enough times to know they can do it. Just a bit more confidence in the team is needed."

"I wouldn't have been able to tell any of you that." Ali says shocked.

"Sam, Hallie! Go warm up!" Jill shouts down the touch line.

"Go get em, Hal." Ali claps me on the back.

"Play how you always do." Ash says.

"You've got this." Carli smiles.

Me and Sam warm up for a few minutes, before going back to the bench to change into our kits.