The Raven Girl- chapter 24

I slipped out of the aviary aware that I had to go and jump out a window at a great height. I tried not to think about what I was doing or how much it would hurt when I did take the plunge. Instead I psyched myself up so that I was running blindly on adrenaline and sprinted up the floors asking the servants for directions to the highest tower. Needless to say I received a few odd looks along the way. Apparently the tower was closed off due to being dilapidated and unsafe and when the servants heard that I wanted to visit there they tried to deter me from going up the tower. The beams and flooring were full of rot and woodworm they warned. Great, I thought to myself. That's all I need, one wrong step and I could put my foot through the floor boards.

Following the directions, I got to the foot of the stairs to the tower and began a long tiresome climb up the spiral staircase. Gingerly I tested the strength of each step before putting my weight fully on the plank of wood. With each window I passed I could see the ground getting further and further away. but I forced myself up each step, thinking about the people I had wronged. Occasionally I had to skip a step or two because of the wood worm but I eventually made it to the top. An empty dusty void greeted me, I had no idea what the Eastern turret was once used for but judging by the cobwebs and I must be the first person to visit this room for years. An angry blizzard howled around the tower and all I could see through the glass and dust was white. I had to really peer past the little flakes of white obscuring the ground to get a sense of how high up I was. When I eventually saw the ground I almost past out. Clinging on to the window ledge for support I pushed the window frame open. A blast of cold air and ice hit my face. I pulled myself up onto the ledge and dangled my legs out. 

Okay take a deep breath and just do it.

I took one deep breathe and panicked- shit shit shit. I can’t throw myself out of building even if I was immortal! This is crazy, but the dragon's words echoed in my head - it is a leap of faith.

 A strange calmness overcame me and I felt myself letting go. I thought about Romola and I thought about Morgan. A few broken bones to save my friends was a small price to pay. I leaned forward into the air and felt the solidness of the window ledge slip away from me. I was falling.

Above I heard a scream, a man, yelling my name. I tried to look up but I was spinning. My head felt light and I felt myself going. The wind screamed around my ears and then faded to silence. I lost consciousness.

I waited under the hollow tree for my brother. Ravens did not have homes or palaces, instead we had the forest and mountains to dwell in. We were of nature and to live in a house was to shut out nature although ever since meeting Dante I had spent an increasing time in these dwellings. Walking softly in the snow, nausea began to build like it always did every time I was about to meet my brother. He was strange around me, a creepy strange that made me nervous just to think of him. There was a beating of wings and a raven swooped down in front of me transforming into a man.

“Sister.” My brother smiled.

I forced myself to return a smile and feign happiness even though the sight of him made me sick as a dog. His presence had always made me uneasy since we were children. I had spent many years learning how to avoid his company so I did not have to endure the sight of him. I watched him closely trying to maintain our distance. He always like to come close to me- too close.

“Dante said we are to be married.” I said politely.

Edvard didn’t like this news, he shook his head and replied,“The Prince will never marry you Ebony.”

“He says he loves me.” I protested.

“All men say that Ebony. It is our way of getting what we want.” My brother brushed his hand over my face, letting his fingers fall down to my neck, over my shoulder, down to my collar bone. I abruptly pulled away in disgust. I hated the way my brother looked at me, it was so unnatural. The way he tried to touch me. Ashamed I looked to the ground. Edvard didn’t like it when I spurned his advances. When I glanced back at him I saw his hand raised to strike me. I closed my eyes and waited for the impact, but it never came. Edvard held his hand in mid-air scowling at me. A burst of triumphant flashed through me. No, he wouldn't hit me while I belonged to another man. Cockily I asked,