The Raven Girl- chapter 47

Luna, my little dog, blindly ran up to Edvard. Her little tail was wagging and she was pawing at his shoes. A cruel smile spread over Edvard’s face and he scooped my Luna up into his arms and held her roughly by the scruff of the neck. Luna stilled sensing danger. Her tiny ears lowered and she looked at me for help. Edvard glanced at me then at the dog in a gesture that said, ‘squeal and I will snap your dog’s neck’. Biting on my tongue I helplessly watched Dante leave the room.

Edvard slammed the door behind him.

“Good girl.” He said.

“Give me Luna.” I said.

“No.”

“Do you want me to take out the other eye?” I said.

“Do you want me to take her eyes out?” Edvard said looking at Luna.

I fell quiet, silently admitting defeat. Edvard smirked.

“Get dressed. I want to show you something.” He said.

“I’m not going anywhere with you.” I replied flatly.

“Then poor little pooch will suffer.”

“Leave the dog out of it!”

“Ebony, I am back in the mortal realm. I can not touch you because of that foxes magic. You have nothing to fear from me. All I wish to do is take you a little tour of the garden and bring you back to the castle.”

Edvard was telling the truth. Morgan had made sure he would never be able to touch me in the realm of magic. I had found that out the first time he tried to force himself upon me. His bare skin against mine causes his skin to melt, blister and smoke. Rubbing my temples I could see no other way to save my dog. Reluctantly I agreed.

Dante hadn’t returned by the time I had dressed. Edvard was eager for him and me to take a walk in the garden so we left explaining to the guards where we had gone. Edvard tried to make pleasant conversation as we strolled out of the castle into the gardens. I ignored most of conversation starters or gave one word answers. I hated him so much.

Outside was thick snow. The sky was clear and the moon was bright. Edvard led me to the otherside of the garden where a group of ravens were hiding.

“What is this?” I demanded.

“Bring her out.” Edvard said.

Two men came out dragging a young girl with long red hair. I blinked for a moment and suppressed a cry. Dashing towards her I whispered, “Morgan!”

Edvard stepped in front of me.

“That’s close enough.” He said.

Morgan didn’t move. She was unconscious. Her head lolled about as the guards dragged her back into the overgrowth. I tried to push past Edvard but he yanked Luna’s ear so hard she squealed in agony. Immediately I stopped and stilled. Edvard smiled.

“Now that I have your attention I want to express my intentions. I want you to leave Dante and return with me to the forest. I want you to take your place by my side not as my sister but as my Queen. Now I will explain to you the ultimatum. If you do not leave Dante in the next three day and agree to become my Queen, I will torture and behead Morgan- your beloved best friend.”

“Don’t you dare touch her!” I yelled shoving Edvard hard.

Edvard laughed, “Finally I found your Achilles heel!”

“You f-”

Luna let out another cry as Edvard yanked her ear. I stopped and fell to my knees sobbing. Morgan was my best friend. I couldn’t live without her. She had rescued me so many times and had always been there for me, even when we thought we were just human kids. Pain pierced through my heart.

Edvard dropped Luna on to the floor.

“I am glad you finally understand the hopelessness of the situation,” He said. “I don’t expect an answer right now but if you want to save your friend, you will break it off with Dante and return to me.”