The Raven Girl- chapter 5- the escape plan

“No, you didn’t mention the fact you were an evil blood sucking demon of the night.” I replied bluntly trying to wriggle out of his grasp.

Prince Dante curved his arm around me yawning sleepily, “Has that upset you?”

“Everything you have done has upset me!” I snapped.

He laughed softly and nuzzled into my hair, “You’ll forgive me soon enough.”

“Are you going to eat me?”

“If you don’t go to sleep I will.”

Sleep was completely out of the question there was no way I was going to relax around this guy. I would have to wait for him to fall asleep then sneak out of the room and find a way home. Closing my eyes I lay very still and tried not to focus on the heat of his breath against my skin. Instead I tried to think about my best friend, Morgan, and how I was ever going to convince her that I was kidnapped by a vampire prince. God, this was so messed up. After what seemed an hour I made my move. Lifting up Prince Dante’s arm I slid out of his grip and wormed my way to the edge of the bed. The room was lit with the dull light of flickering candles and I could see the great oak door ahead. I got out of bed and looked down at the long cotton night dress I was wearing. This was not the clothes I had emerged out of the pool in and I didn’t even want to know who put it on me.

I looked over my shoulder and saw Prince Dante peacefully asleep, his black hair fell across his shut eyes in way that made me make a dreamy sigh. Immediately I gave myself a mental slap- this guy was a vampire and probably had plans to put me on the breakfast menu when he woke up. Day dreaming about this man would only lead to my own premature death so I need to make like a log and split before sleeping beauty woke up.

Tiptoeing, I lifted the heavy cast iron handle and gave the door a pull. It creaked noisily opened and for a few seconds I thought I had blown my cover.  Once again I looked back at Prince Dante who thankfully was fast asleep. Slipping out into the corridor I didn’t risk closing the door. I quietly crept along the empty corridor occasionally looking over my shoulder to make sure no one was following me. A stair case loomed ahead and I heard a noise of clanking armour. Quickly I dived into a shady alcove and ducked down. Two soldiers past by without noticing me. I waited until I could not hear their footsteps before I emerged.

The corridor was once again empty and I began to tiptoe down the corridor. I came to the opening  of the stairs and took one final look. I breathed a sigh of relief to see it was empty.

“Do you think the coast is clear?” A voice whispered behind me.

I screamed out loud as I saw those green eyes staring back at me. Prince Dante stood on the foot of the stairs with his arms across his bare chest wearing only a pair of loose pyjama bottoms. He smiled at my reaction and said,

“Where are you going lover?”

Was there any point attempting to run? He jumped down the first step and strode towards me. How the hell did he move so fast?

“When did you realize I was missing?” I asked as he grabbed my arm and dragged me back towards our bedroom.

“The moment your body wasn’t touching mine.” He said in a silky voice.

“So why didn’t you grab me then?”

“I wanted to show off my vampire ninja stealth.” He shrugged.

He opened the bedroom door and pushed me in. He closed the door and locked it and dropped the key down his pants. He then looked up at me and smiled as if to say ‘I dare you to try and get that key’. I gave him a scathing look and he indicated to the bed.

“Would you like to get in or would you like me to make you?” He asked.

Rolling my eyes, I made a groaning noise and climbed into bed. Prince Dante followed. He wrapped his arms around me and lightly pressed a kiss on the tip of my nose.

“Good night Ebony.” He said sweetly.

“Go to hell.” I replied closing my eyes.