12 | Looking for a Clue

~~~

~~~

Instead of going to the hummers I end up helping Enid continue decorating the canoe. "We have to get back to the woods." Wednesday comes up to us.

"How? Weems has been watching you like a vulture circling a carcass." I look up at her so she glances at Enid.

"You want me to cover so you two can return to the scene of a crime that didn't happen?" Enid says still working.

"I have beekeeping club this afternoon. I need you as decoy. Weems doesn't care about Valentine because she trusts her." Wednesday tells her.

"Sorry. Two strikes. I'm busy and bees totally creep me out. Why don't you ask Thing? Wait, you can't because he's mad at you." Enid tells her.

"Why is he mad? He's the one who screwed up with Rowan."

"All I know is that we spent an hour giving each other manis, and he really opened up. He feels like you don't respect him as a person." Enid lets her know.

"Technically, he's only a hand." Wednesday looks at her.

"Wednesday, he's our family. And Thing would do anything for us, especially for you." I add.

"Go apologizes and I'll reconsider helping you." Enid tells her so she walks off.

"That will be the first attempt to apologize ever." I laugh continuing to paint.

"Really?" Enid says surprise. "Wednesday has never said sorry to anyone." I shake my head.

Soon Wednesday comes back saying she and Thing were on better terms so Enid helps Wednesday out. I wait outside of the shed while Enid helps Enid and talks to Eugene. "Let's go." She comes out taking the lead so I follow her.

"So what exactly are we looking for?" I quietly ask her as we walk around looking at the ground.

"Anything to prove it happened. Someone had to leave at least one thing." She keeps her eyes down.

"There was no blood at the scene so I doubt they would leave something accidentally." I say walking ahead of her before we hear a dog. We both look in the direction but I'm grabbed by someone placing their hand over my mouth so I grab Wednesday taking her with me.

When the sheriff and the dog pass by Wednesday pulls me away from who grabbed me and it was Tyler. "What the hell? I never get scared and you startled me." I slap his chest.

"Sorry. I didn't want Elvis to pick on up your scents." He explains to me.

"Thanks. How'd you throw them off?" Wednesday asks him.

"Uh..." He shows is coffee grounds. "Deer hunting hack. One of the perks of being a part-time barista." He puts them away.

"I assume your father didn't bring the bloodhound to play fetch." Wednesday says.