23 - Feed The Wolf

⚠️ t.w: //mention of suicide//

_______________________________

"Yoohan-ah!"

In some way, Yoohan was thankful for all the messed up things he had been experiencing till this day, because it helped him to numb his heart so much that he could still smile amiably in front of the man who devised his family's death.

Even while he saw the man smiling at him widely, looking at him with a soft gaze and welcoming him with hands spread wide like a kind grandfather, Yoohan didn't jump to punch the man and threw him to a meat grinder like he wanted to.

Instead, he walked toward Seo Jungeon to accept the hug.

"Uncle," Yoohan greeted in a cheerful tone befitting a spoiled son that never knew any hardship.

"Forgive me for only being able to see you now," the old man laughed amiably, patting Yoohan's back gently and stroking it twice like how a grandfather would. "I have been so busy lately, you see. You're not going to sulk, are you?"

Oh, how much Yoohan praised himself to be able to keep his composure and proceed with the charade. "Don't worry about it, Uncle. I'm not a kid anymore," Yoohan laughed. "Although I feel sorry for failing that company you recommended me to take over."

Yoohan, of course, didn't look sorry at all with his almost giggling tone and aloof expression. And the old man replied accordingly with a laugh. "Hahaha! What's failing a company or two? It's just a small place anyway. You can always start again, so just learn from the mistake."

"You always give me such nice advice, Uncle," Yoohan laughed in return and tilted his head. "Are you probably asking to meet me because you want me to run another company?"

"Can't I just do it because I miss you?" the old man still laughed, tapping Yoohan's shoulder with a gentle expression and a smile on his face.

A smile that instantly froze at the words Yoohan spoke next.

"Oh? I thought maybe you want to see me because the Chairman asked you about Yooshin Construction," Yoohan replied cheerfully, with a tone as if he was just talking about a pleasant vacation; perky and energetic.

The Director froze; eyes unblinking as he just stood there for almost ten seconds without saying anything.

"Uncle?" Yoohan tilted his head and called out, still with that cheery, almost sing-song tone.

Only then that the Director moved, blinking his eyes slowly, and stared at the cold and nonchalant face of the young man in front of him. "Gitae, Yoonhwa—go get some rest in the cafe downstairs," the old man said to the two secretaries in the room, who looked at him back in surprise. "I would like to talk with my beloved nephew alone for a bit. It's been more than five years since we last met, you see."

The secretaries looked at the Director, who still gave them the usual affable smile. Like good workers, they bowed and retreated from the room without being told twice. The Director stepped back from Yoohan then, frowning when he saw the tall, imposing man near the door.

"I said I want to speak with Yoohan alone," the old man spoke sternly, frowning even more when the man did not move an inch, not even changing his facial expression.

"Ah, pardon me," the one who replied was Yoohan, who nonchalantly invited himself to sit on the nice chair in front of the desk. "I was involved in some unsavory incident not long ago, so my bodyguard had been extra sensitive," he leaned into the backrest and tilted his head to look at the Director with an almost innocent smile. "He could never stay even a minute away from me, or he will become rather...feisty."