Part 5

Goku had slept in late the next day. He hadn't bothered setting his alarm, knowing he wouldn't be able to properly train after what had happened. He was sure Vegeta didn't want to see him anyway. After he had left Goku standing there like an idiot, he had decided to just go home for the rest of the day. Marty was waiting for him, so at least someone was excited to see him. He had tossed and turned the entire night, and didn't properly fall asleep until well after midnight.

His mind was jumbled with thoughts, but he ignored them. It was best to forget about what had happened on Lord Beerus's planet, for Vegeta's sake and for his own sanity. He was driving himself crazy constantly thinking about Vegeta and what could be in the future. He needed to focus on the good ol' here and now. Vegeta would never feel the same way Goku did, it was obvious. Painfully obvious. It ached in Goku's chest to have to face the fact that his strong feelings for him would fall flat. Nightmares had plagued his mind all through the night, each of them ending with Goku all alone.

I should have known this would happen. It's my fault for being so delusional. Honestly, I don't know why I thought Vegeta would see eye to eye with me. Whis was wrong, and so was I. I need to forget about him. I'll find a different training partner. Maybe Krillin will spar with me, like old times? He never says no to an old-fashioned friend-versus-friend spar session!

...

"Sorry, Goku, but I'm having the guys over tonight, so I don't think I can spar with you today." Krillin said distractedly, standing on a stool to reach some items on a high shelf in the kitchen of Kame House. The sounds of the ocean waves hitting the sandy shore was almost like a relaxing musical, and Goku regretted not visiting the secluded house more often. He practically grew up in this house. Now, Krillin and 18 had made it their home. Goku did miss hanging out with his best friend, but he had never found the time, what with thinking about Vegeta day and night and trying to spar without losing his focus.

"Guys over?" Goku repeated, cocking his head to the side. "Like, a party?"

"More like a guys night, technically." Krillin said, hopping off the stool. "18 is going out with her girl friends, so I thought I'd invite the guys over."

"What about Marron?" Goku asked. "And how come you didn't invite me?"

Krillin laughed, placing a bag of chips on the counter. "Calm down, big guy. Bulma offered to watch over Marron so me and 18 can have a much deserved break. Plus, you seemed distracted with stuff, so I figured you were busy. That's all."

"I'm not busy, can I come?" Goku asked, realizing he sounded like he was begging. In a way, he was. It was the perfect opportunity to get his mind on something else. Hanging out with his friends was like the perfect medication to his rampaging mind. Krillin was the best at making him feel better whenever he was sad, and Yamcha was always funny whenever he told stories about his exploits with women. Tien and Chiaotzu were fun to be around, even though they didn't understand jokes. He hadn't heard from Bulma in a long time, but it was nice that she was willing to put a pause on her busy schedule to watch Krillin and 18's kid so they can have some fun. Despite the fact that Goku had never participated in a 'guys night,' he knew it was just what he needed to calm himself down and cheer him up.

Krillin looked unsure. He scratched the back of his head, a tight smile on his face. "Uh...I'm not sure you'd have fun, Goku. You...might not understand a lot of jokes and stuff."

"Oh, come on! I gotta come! I'm sure I'd have a fun time, best buddy." Goku pressed. "I'll help you set up and get you whatever you need!"

Krillin chuckled. He'd known Goku since they were both very little kids, and his personality had never changed, not even an inch. The same determined, eager, energetic, and persistent individual he'd grown up with. Best buddies till they day they ultimately kick the bucket. Goku never backed down from what he wanted, which meant that Krillin would have a field day trying to talk him out of wanting to go. He sighed and ran a hand over his shiny bald head. "Okay, okay. But don't say I didn't warn you."