Part 11

Vegeta pulled out a jumble of blankets from his closet and threw them at Goku, who fumbled to catch them. "You're sleeping on the floor, Kakarot."

Goku opened his mouth to protest, but decided against it. He knew he couldn't press Vegeta about sleeping arrangements. Goku was perfectly fine sleeping on the floor. He was more than thrilled to even be allowed to step foot in Vegeta's house, let alone stay the night. He knelt down and began spreading the thick blankets along the floor right beside Vegeta's bed, laying them out flat as he did so. He felt giddy, like a child. The simple fact that he was going to sleep in the same area as Vegeta was almost like a miracle. He had always wondered what Vegeta did at night. Not in a creepy way, of course. In more of a curious way. He couldn't help it.

I wonder how Vegeta sleeps, Goku thought as he sat down atop his freshly placed blankets. Does he talk in his sleep? Krillin said I did that once, and it scared him. Does he toss and turn a lot? I sure do, so maybe it's a good thing I'm sleeping on the floor.

He watched as Vegeta made his bed, sliding his hands along the comforter to smooth it out. He seemed focused on his task, which confused Goku. Why would he be so laser-focused on making a bed? I wonder what he thinks about. Ooh, maybe he thinks about me.

Vegeta sighed and stepped away from his bed, turning to give Goku a sideways glare. "Kakarot, I'm getting in the shower. You stay put."

"Why are you telling me to stay put?" Goku asked, tilting his head to the side. "You're just taking a shower."

"I don't want you coming into the bathroom for any reason, that's why." Vegeta replied. "Stay in that spot and don't move a damn muscle."

"What if I have to use the bathroom?"

"Then hold it."

"I don't wanna be out here all alone." Goku whined. "Can I let Marty inside?"

"Absolutely not." Vegeta shook his head. "That dog stays outside."

"But what if he runs off and I never see him again?" Goku asked, suddenly feeling panicked. "Please, Vegeta? I'll make sure he stays off your bed, I promise."

Vegeta looked from Goku to the door, then back at Goku with a huff. "Fine. But he stays off my bed at all times, understood?"

Goku saluted and sprang to his feet, pulling the door open to reveal Marty. The dog sat with his leash in his mouth, trembling like he had seen some sort of monster. His wide, black eyes slowly looked up at Goku, his entire body shaking as if he had just come back from playing in the snow. The dog looked practically traumatized as Goku and Vegeta watched him slowly stand and walk inside, his eyes unblinking.

Vegeta waited until the dog had managed to throw himself to the floor atop Goku's blankets to speak. "Okay, seriously, Kakarot, what is wrong with that dog?"

Goku shrugged. "Beats me. Krillin got him for me from this lady who was selling puppies. Maybe he hit his head like me."

"Maybe." Vegeta muttered, then turned and headed inside the bathroom, shutting and locking the door behind him.

Goku sat down beside Marty, running a hand along his fur. "You gotta sleep here with me, buddy. Vegeta says you can't go on his bed."

Marty shook out his fur, then looked around the house, sniffing the floor as he walked around. His tail wagged furiously, his claws clicked against the hardwood flooring, and his nose made a whistling sound whenever he breathed in. He bumped around the dining table, brushed against the cabinets, and ran straight into the couch. Goku found the dog hilarious to watch, though sometimes he wondered if Marty was half blind. It would explain why he always ran into things.