Part 22

"A new tournament?" Krillin repeated incredulously, his eyes wide. It had started out as a peaceful day with him and his wife and daughter, hanging out in the sand surrounding Kami House, and now his childhood friend was standing before him, describing the start of a new Tournament of Power. It was almost too shocking to be true. The first Tournament had just about killed some of them, and nearly sent Universe 7 into the gutter. His gut dropped at the thought of returning to the arena and fighting comically strong fighters.

Goku nodded vigorously before him. "Yeah, so you have to join our team!"

Vegeta stood beside him, looking plain bored while Goku looked nearly desperate.

"It's not like I can just drop everything and fight, Goku. I have a family now." Krillin said, looking over at Marron, who was gathering seashells in her lap in the beach sand. "But why is Zeno starting a new Tournament?"

"He misses me." Goku replied with a rather proud tone.

"Don't be so smug, Kakarot. All Zeno cares about is keeping the Universes in check." Vegeta scoffed.

"Hey, don't be mean. Zenny and I are pals!" Goku said, then placed a hand on the Prince's shoulder. "Jealous?"

"Far from it." Vegeta grumbled.

"Is this anything like the last one?" 18 asked, leaning against the door frame with her hands in her jeans pockets.

"Maybe. Zenny didn't really say much about it, he was so excited." Goku shrugged. "But Whis thinks there's going to be dual games, so we need an even number of fighters."

"Who are you planning on recruiting?" Krillin asked, running a hand across his shiny head.

"Well, Vegeta and I are gonna head off to Vampa to see if Broly will join our team, which would totally put us in the lead with all his strength. Then we were kinda thinking about getting everyone that we had last time. You know, you, 18, Tien, 17, Piccolo, all those guys." Goku blew out a breath, then scratched the back of his neck. "We have five days to get everything in order, which should be enough time to gather some fighters."

"I'm in." 18 said, stepping down the porch steps to stand beside Krillin.

"What? You are?" Krillin asked with almost a choke in his voice.

"Yeah. I haven't fought in a while, and I need some exercise. Besides, if Universe 7 doesn't get a decent team gathered, there's a chance we'd lose right away." 18 shrugged, then leaned down and kissed the top of his head. "You stay home with Marron, okay?"

"Wait, why can't I go?" Krillin huffed. "I should go if you're going."

"Then who will watch Marron?"

"Uh...I'll figure that out."

"You're staying home."

"Yes, ma'am."

Goku grinned wide. "Thanks, 18. Think you can get 17 to join, too? I think he'll be pretty celebrated for winning the last Tournament."

"Yeah, I'll give him a call. I'm sure he'd agree, but if not, I'll just drag him along." 18 chuckled. "You two sure about entering another Tournament? Maybe Zeno does miss you, Goku, but that doesn't mean he'll go easy on you. In fact, since he's doing all of this just to see you fight, he'd make it harder."

"I know, and I'm pumped." Goku stretched his arms behind his head. "Zenny loves me. I'm expecting him to make it difficult. It wouldn't be a challenge if he didn't."

"You got that Ultra whatever in stock?" 18 cocked her head to the side, crossing her arms.

"Uh...I don't know. I'll guess we'll just have to wait and see, huh?" Goku chuckled.