Part 8

Papaya Island was bright with laughter, cheers, and the deeply nostalgic carnival music. A Ferris Wheel rose high above the buildings like a statue, lights tracing along the outside in rainbow colors. Booths extending along every street were set up, some offering food, others showcasing various games and challenges. Cars were off the street for the night, allowing civilians to walk and run freely through the mesmerizing array of colors and smells and sounds. Papaya Island held this fair once a year to lift spirits and make people happy, which they never failed at doing. It had become something of a tradition, and this would be the first time Goku would be attending.

He stood on the sidewalk, the shining lights reflecting in his obsidian eyes. Excitement blossomed in his chest, for a number of reasons. He wanted to check out every booth and play every game, but he was also excited to see Vegeta. His foot tapped anxiously. In an effort to appear relaxed and more human, he had ditched his Gi for a black shirt, an orange jacket, and a simple pair of jeans with sneakers. It was an outfit he wasn't particularly fond of, as he favored his beloved Gi over anything else, but he wanted to have a fun time that didn't involve fighting. With all the sounds invading his ears, the smells wafting into his nose, he could easily run and delve into his child-like glee by playing everything in only a second. But he had promised he'd wait for his friends before darting off. It was a promise he was regretting.

Marty sat atop his feet, Goku holding tight to the red leash. Marty was the only pet Goku had ever gotten, and probably the last. To be honest, the dog was stupid. He had been a gift from Krillin a few years back for Goku's birthday, who had run into a lady selling a litter of Golden Retriever puppies. Goku had fallen in love with the dog and wanted to keep him forever. That is, until he realized just how stupid the dog really was. Marty would fly into a mad panic whenever anything even moved near him, he had a tendency to hump things bigger than him, he stared at people with this cross-eyed look that made them uncomfortable, his bark sounded like an air-raid siren, he ran into things as if he were blind, and lastly, he ate whatever he could find. Be it actual food, clothing, cardboard, metal. Anything that he could fit in his mouth was viewed as food. Goku couldn't count the times he'd had to take him to the vet after he had eaten a glass bowl. Krillin joked that the dog was immortal, seeing as how a normal dog couldn't eat an entire fork and walk away freely. While the dog was troublesome to take care of, Goku couldn't bear himself to get rid of him. He loved the dog too much, and he knew the dog loved him back. He was thrilled that he was able to bring him along to the fair, since he wasn't really able to take him anywhere. The dog was banned from SafeMart after he had eaten a shopping cart.

Goku still had no idea how he did it, but he did.

He sighed, stuffing a hand into his jacket pocket. All he wanted to do was stuff his face with the mouth-watering smells he was picking up, but he stayed true to his word and remained in place. Marty was content with sitting on Goku's feet, his long pink tongue lolling out of his mouth, his eyes glancing in two different directions.

Finally, Goku spotted Krillin, 18, and Marron heading towards him, accompanied by Yamcha, Bulma, and a girl Goku had never seen before. She was slender and curvaceous, with beautiful light skin and long, straight black hair, reaching her mid-back with short square-bangs and large black eyes. Goku stared at her, his own eyes wide. He had never seen a woman as beautiful as her. He figured she was one of Bulma's friends, seeing as how they walked close together. Wow. She's pretty. I wonder who she is. How come I've never been introduced to her before?

Krillin and his family came up to Goku, a smile on his face. "Sorry for making you wait, buddy. Marron was throwing a fit and Yamcha was trying to get Bulma to go with him as a couple."

"Which I will not do." Bulma said flatly, casting a glare at the man.

"Oh, come on, just give me one more chance!" Yamcha pleaded, giving her his best puppy-dog look.