1. A Pact With The Witch

Those charcoal-black lips spread a wide smile. Haggard and thin cheeks with a sharp nose and chin made her full-of-wrinkles face look long. Her thin white hair was not covered by a hat this time, just to make her look even more hideous.

A girl with light-blond hair stood at the corner of the messy and smelly room.
She was the complete opposite of the witch on the other side. Her lovely sculpted-by-God body was wrapped in a beautiful dress full of intricate embroidery and emitted the fragrance of flowers, wood, and dried fruits. Her pair of eyes depicted the clear morning sky of the spring season.

"Eternal beauty?" A chuckle escaped from the lips that locked the rows of rotten and pointed teeth.

The high-pitched voice snapped the beautiful girl out of her focus that had been attracted to the condition of the shabby little house. In fact, she was sure the chicken coop on her uncle's farm was much better than this.

The fingers of two hands intertwined, and the blonde girl nodded quickly. "Th-that's right. Can... you possibly do it?"

"Your question demeans me, young lady. I'm even surprised that you and dozens of your guards managed to reach my house. Hihihihi..." The skinny and hunchbacked witch rose from her rocking chair. "Isn't your hard work proclaiming that I am the only great witch here?"

"Yes, you are, ma'am. You are the greatest. At least, that's what my mother said," The girl muttered.

"Hm..." The witch glanced at her. She walked over to her and stood right in front of her small face.

Then, the witch's pointing finger lifted and touched the girl's chin with her dirty, sharp fingernail. "What was your name earlier, darling?"

Holding her breath, the girl gulped and replied, "Triana. Triana Rexa Gelev."

"Oh... Such a beautiful name for a beautiful girl," The Witch laughed as she left the girl named Triana.

"My husband is Duke Stephen Gelev. He has helped in many wars and is one of the king's favourites." explained a graceful middle-aged woman who was standing beside Triana.

"Well, that's impressive. However... did I ask? Hihihi..." The witch replied.

Triana glanced at her mother who had the same look of horror as her. That witch was indeed weird, even stranger than the rumours circulating.

"Then, can you grant our wish for our beloved daughter? We will give you a plentiful pleasant reward," said Triana's mother. Her name was Catherine Rovenia Gelev.

"Money and wealth. They are happiness, indeed. That's what you always, greedy people rely on. Even that beauty..." The witch turned to Triana. She smiled widely. "You use it to gain happiness, don't you?"

The witch's words made Triana bite her lip. She didn't know if this was a coincidence or not. However, she had only just realized it.

Being born with beauty made many people admire Triana, even when she was still a newborn.

A king of their kingdom immediately made an agreement with Triana's father to marry her to his third prince when Triana turned 22 years old.

Unfortunately, until at the age of 23, the prince had not yet returned from his great assignment to conquer an over sea kingdom.

Her mother, sisters, aunts, and her father himself told Triana that she was at her peak age. But like a flower, it didn't bloom forever. After that short time, it would close and wither eventually.

If Triana's beauty withered when the prince returned, he might cancel their marriage because he was not satisfied with Triana's appearance which was no longer what he had hoped for. He would look for a girl who was younger and more beautiful than her. When it happened, all of the Gelevs' hopes would crumble.