18. Be Careful For A Monster

The girl's brow wrinkled. "My parents love their children very much. They always give their best for us. Yes, they are not perfect because they are human too. But they are the perfect parents to me,"

A chuckle escaped Vlador's lips. "They are so perfect that they even let you think of begging a witch to make your beauty immortal?"

"Mr. Vlador, please don't judge my parents when you don't even know them. As a child, of course we can feel our parents' love for us, can't we?"

The gosling's words made Vlador speechless. His jaw tightened as he looked back to the front. This girl seemed to have a pleasant life and her parents treated her so sweetly that she defended them with all her dignity.

This girl named Triana didn't know what Vlador's past was like, indeed. Even so, her words still made his chest feel burned. She spoke as if all children grew up with the same warmth and happiness as hers.

"I-I'm sorry if I spoke too carelessly. I didn't mean to remind you of your family. Your family was massacred and you had been locked up alone for a hundred years. It must be painful and heavy. Please forgive my heartless words," Triana said slowly.

Valador turned to her again and found her hanging her face down. She misunderstood. Yes, of course, she would think that way because she didn't know anything about his life, let alone his past. But at least, aside from her reckless tongue, she quickly realized her mistakes and had great sympathy for others.

"Why do you think your future depends on your beauty?" Vlador asked to remove the Family thing from their conversation.

Triana lifted her face and looked at Vlador. Then she took a deep breath and smiled faintly. "Because I'm getting married,"

Vlador's brow furrowed. He looked at her questioningly.

Triana chuckled and nodded. "I have a prince. Since childhood, we have been betrothed. He is a handsome prince – the charming one. And he's very kind to everyone. I should have married at twenty-two. However, my groom-to-be has not returned from the Nardehon war yet and there is no definite word on when he will. Meanwhile, I am now twenty-three years old. I'm afraid that when he comes back, I'll be too old and my looks will have decreased."

"That is an unreasonable excuse. If he's as good as you say he is, a few wrinkles on your face won't let him leave you." Vlador replied.

"Well… We don't know how he will react. But there are so many beautiful noble girls who want to take my place – and we know that. Therefore, we will not let this opportunity slip through our fingers. We have been waiting for the prince. If he calls off our wedding, for my unattractive look when he comes back, I'll end up having trouble marrying another nobleman,"

"Your explanation makes me want to vomit. That is a pity way of thinking," Vlador said with a disparaging chuckle.

"Perhaps you think so, Mr. Vlador. But my father said that it was logical thinking. As a father, he wants the best for his daughter, which is not to live a poor life. Of course he wants me to marry a high-quality man." Triana lifted her chin.

"Don't you realize that you've been referring to yourself as 'We'? It seems that without you realising it, your parents have been using you. Not only do they want you to be happy, but they also want happiness from you."

"Th-that's not true." Triana denied it firmly. Then she returned her gaze to the front again with a slightly downcast face.  "They do love me – so much. They want me to continue to be happy like I am now, and I can feel it," she continued in a weak voice.

Vlador chuckled sarcastically. This stupid girl had been used by her parents. They may have groomed her since she was a child to become their treasure in old age. No wonder she was so spoiled, a crybaby, and useless. She was brought up to marry rich men by taking advantage of her beauty.

Her weak body and her spotless beauty must come because her parents always forbade her from doing various physical things. She was made into a porcelain doll which was only displayed in the curio cabinet dining hall as decoration.

Unfortunately, this stupid girl still believed that her parents' love was genuine for her. So pathetic.

However, Vlador would not discuss it any further. If she did want to live as a puppet, that was none of his business. She might lose her life right after their curse was lifted because he would eat her right then and there.

Talking during the walk made them not feel the length of the passage. Finally, they arrived at its other end. Vlador touched the wall right in the middle with his five fingernails. After that, his nails sank in and he twisted his hand slightly.

The stone door slowly slid up open, causing the sound of stones rubbing together. Unlike the passage outside, the room hiding behind the wall was brightly illuminated.

"Holly heaven…" Triana muttered, covering her mouth with one hand. Her face reflected the yellow gleam from the room.

Vlador didn't know why he thought like this, but he seemed to have guessed from the start how the gosling next to him would react. It seemed that in all her life, she had always been restricted, that many things could make her surprised and gasp.

Stepping inside, Vlador instructed the girl to enter. When they were standing inside his treasury, the door behind them closed back.

It had been a hundred years since Vlador had not smelled his gold, silver, and gemstones. In this vast room that relied on the lighting of two magic star-stones that could light up eternally, he kept all of his loot.

In two hundred and fifty years of his life, Vlador had won many wars. Like all wars in general, the winner would take all the treasure from the loser and even kill all his descendants.

Not only did he win the war, but Vlador also often disguised himself as a lord and ran several businesses by employing humans.

Having a long life and not being bound by the royal rules of the Arvadus kingdom since childhood, Vlador was free to explore various places and do various things, including treasure hunting.

Besides humans and fellow vampires, Vlador's hands were also often covered in monster blood. He never cared about anyone or anything. He would do everything to collect a lot of treasure and leave the kingdom of Arvadus after King Dracount abdicated. Unfortunately, all of his plans failed after he was cursed.

"Um, pardon me, Mr. Vlador. Is the monster here? This place doesn't look dangerous, honestly. However, should I be careful now?"

The gosling lady's voice woke Vlador from his reverie. Then, the corners of his lips pulled up into a wicked smile.

"I suggest you should because he will show up anytime now,"