12. Why Should I Bother?

Watching the seasons change and the full moon appeared and disappeared made Vlador feel like his soul was getting eroded.

Desperation made him several times wish to die, just like his family. The war between humans and vampires finally ended after nearly a thousand years of bloodshed. Unfortunately, the war was won by humans.

For generations, humans and vampires had been at war constantly. Just like other wars, they fought over territory to breed. In fact, there were still werewolves and witches. However, vampires were the main enemy of humans because humans were their food.

Humans always thought that they were the descendants of gods. They were God's most holy and perfect creations. They hated vampires because vampires were descended from the devil; which was correct.

Just like other vampires, Vlador also hated humans the most. However, he also hated the vampires that surrounded him.

When he saw his entire family being slaughtered, for the first time, Vlador felt joy. But his laughter didn't last long. He was captured by humans who work with witches.

They punished him for what he didn't do, but only because he was the last living descendant of King Dracount, one of the strongest kings of the fifteen vampire kings scattered around the world.

King Dracount Ledov Arvadus was a vampire king who had soaked his hands in a sea of ​​human blood. He killed humans not only to quench his thirst, but for personal pleasure.

All descendants of King Dracount were feared vampires, and Vlador Lev Dracount was no exception. In fact, Vlador was the strongest among all his brothers and sisters. However, he had something that made him seem like trash to everyone.

King Mateo Alexarus II paid witches to torture Vlador. His queen and his crown prince who were killed by King Dracount grew a deep grudge in his soul.

The kingdom of Alexarus, which was still young and had to stand under Galvadea's reign, made it not dominant enough in the big war. The entire Dracount family was wiped out by great kingdoms that were formidable in war. Therefore, King Mateo couldn't take revenge by his own hands - He needed to use another way.

As the strongest vampire in his kingdom, Vlador managed to survive the war after creating a hill of humans' and witches' bodies. However, just when he thought he could breathe a sigh of relief, he fell into the trap of the paid witch of King Mateo, whose name never even got to his attention before.

Like a dream, Vlador was cursed to become immortal even though he didn't drink human blood. His body would dry up, but his heart would still beat.
He was chained in the dungeons of his own castle, while the castle itself was enchanted to be visible only at the full moon and could not be entered by other witches.

Once confined within his own castle, Vlador had no idea what was going on outside. Day after day passed, and hunger undermined his body. As the months and years passed by, he found his body had dried up even though his consciousness remained full.

Despair had sat on Vlador's shoulders for several years until he had stopped counting the days. The unbearable hunger made him always feel like he was going to die, even though it never happened.

But suddenly, Vlador felt some humans enter his castle. When his cell door opened, a beautiful human girl appeared before him, making his hunger double up.

Against all Vlador's expectations, it turned out that the human girl made him free from the curse that had bound him for a hundred years. However, just like before, when he thought he could breathe freely, another curse chained his neck.

Vlador never liked humans or witches –No- he never liked anyone in this world other than himself. However, it was humans and witches who had made him suffer for a hundred years. Wasn't it a plausible reason to make him hate them so much?

But now, he had to look for clues among the trash, in the house of a rotten witch, and with a useless human girl who made him entangled in a new curse. Didn't this feel worse than the god of the devil dragging him back to hell?

"Do… I look that bad?"

A girl's small voice distracted Vlador's focus. He shifted his gaze from the table, towards the blonde-haired girl. Even though she had just asked a question, her eyes were still downcast.

Vlador narrowed his eyes. "What are you talking about?"

"You said that I looked like a beast. Is it really that bad? I can't find a mirror here so I still can't see my current appearance," Triana explained.

Ah… Vlador raised an eyebrow. He even forgot that he had lied to that stupid girl.

Annoyed at the fact that he had been cursed again simply because that girl desired eternal beauty, he spontaneously declared that she had turned ugly.

It appeared that the girl indeed depended her whole life on her beauty only. Just like the beautiful women that Vlador recognized, they often used their beauty to get various things. Those women were the big contributor to the injustice in this world.

As Vlador could see, the girl in front of him was devastated when she found out that her beauty had been replaced with ugliness.

The girl kept daydreaming and her eyes kept watering. Even so, Vlador did not have the slightest bit of pity for her. Because of her selfishness, she dragged people into misery.

"You asked a monster the appearance of a monster. Your face is the worst one I have ever seen in my life." Vlador answered the girl's question.

Triana's face lowered. Tears dripped onto the table. She was a noble crybaby.
Yes, certainly. A beautiful useless lady was the product of her parents and the environment that always pampered her. Her life must be so easy and pleasant that every little bad thing could make her freak out and cry.

"Stop crying and look for-"

"I found something,"

Vlador's sentence came to a halt. He saw the girl's hand holding a small stick wrapped in cloth and tied with a red string.

"Doesn't this look suspicious?"

Vlador's brow furrowed, not because he saw the thing the girl was showing him, but because her expression had changed that quickly.

Sadness was no longer reflected on her face. Even though she still looked pale and weak, the excitement made her face light up, as if she had forgotten what was happening to her. Her eyes were wide open with both eyebrows rose high. She stared at him with those big eyes without fear.

"Mm… It … doesn't look important, does it?"

Vlador's eyes flickered. He moved his head slightly to refocus. He didn't understand why he should bother thinking about the drastic change in expression on the girl's face.